Click here if you are having website access problems ×

suspension upgrade

Richard J Darnell

I've just booked my 1998 1.6k SS in for a suspension upgrade.

I'm getting widetrack, adjustable platforms, new springs and the car will be "flat floored" allowing for my weight in the car.

The springs will be about 50% stiffer (apparently) and the front roll bar will be the "red bushes one" (can't remember how thick this means). This is what the garage has recommended.

I'm told my car (a roadsport) is relatively softly set up - my front anti-roll bar certainly looks very thin compared to some of the cars I've seen.

I decided on the upgrade following an attack of "upgradeitus" rather than thinking too much about what effect these changes will have on the handling/ride. I'm obviously hoping for an improvement but I'm not sure what this might mean.

Has anyone done a similar upgrade? Was it worth it? Do the stiffer springs make the ride much harder/worse?

Caterham's advert says the widetrack suspension "improves turn-in and stability, whilst reducing body roll". Does this match with your experience?

Any advice or views on spring rates/anti-roll bar thickness etc gratefully received.

Richard, I have had Caterham carry out a very similar upgrade but minus the wide track (as I had doubts concerning the value for money of this).

I have a 1.6 1996 vintage - however this now has some 190 bhp. I was finding the set up slightly soft and did not like the roll characteristics. I wanted to make the car slightly stiffer without effecting the ride too much as the car is primarily used for the road.

The front springs (previously 150lb) were replaced with 170lb (Caterham part no. 74076) and the rears were replaced with what is known as the 21 supersport progressives( Caterham part no. 74076). I had adjustable spring platforms fitted and the car weas then flat floored.

The results are exactly what I was aiming for. Whilst the ride is stiffer you can hardly notice it but the turn in is now fantastic - I certainly can't notice any increase in the effect of understeer. The roll has now gone.

I can only speculate on how much better the overall effect would have been if I had gone wide track as well. However that money is earmarked for an LSD.

Good luck, I most certainly recommend what you are about to do.

Who is doing it for you - Simon at Caterham was excellent. He recommend the set up and he was right on the button.

Thanks Geoff

I too have doubts about VFM of widetrack.

I decided to go for it because I knew if I did not I'd always wonder what I was missing out on plus I prefer the look of the wider front stance (which is not a good reason, I know!).

Ratrace is doing the work for me - I will need to check with them exactly what springs they will use.

Despite Ratrace being an official Caterham servcing agent they said they don't use the Caterham springs - can't remember why, but they set up a lot of race cars so I assume they know what they're doing.

I too use my car mainly on the road which is why the "red" anti-roll bar was recommended (I think!)

Next upgrade will be brakes I think, then some more power.....just need to rob a bank smile.gif

Richard,

I have a 1.6 K SS as well and initially just had the adjustable platforms fitted when I went from 16" to 13" wheels. The springs and ARB were as they came from the factory. The handling was horrible and it tended to go into severe oversteer at the drop of a hat. Cahnges to date.

1st - Front ARB changed to 5/8". Reduced oversteer but not much. Car rolled like drunk whale on corners.

2nd - Front springs changed to 170 lbs from 150 lbs. Another improvement on reducing oversteer, but still rolled like an ocean liner.

3rd - Experimented with much stiffer springin. Can't remember the rates now as it was done by Redline in Caterham and they tried some different combos. Conclusion 170 lbs was about right.

4th - Got rid of the rear road standard progressives and fitted 104 lb linear springs. Car very much impproved all round. Roll much less, and can now induce oversteer at the same time as it's understeering! Feels as though she could handle a bit more grip at the back I think.

Next step - Rear ARB maybe. This winter's project perhaps.

Present Tyres are List 1A Falkens - can't remember the reference.

• Area Representative

Just had mine widetracked, 250lb front springs, 18mm roll bar, 1/2" rear roll bar with next to soft setting. The ride is still very good, but the cornering is fabulous. I found the standard setup so soft that it didn`t inspire confidence at high speed. the new setup enables me to drive the 7 as it should be. I would recommend that you fit a rear roll bar as well.

Good luck

150 lb front springs is very soft isn't it? i went from a 96 supersport setup (soft, progressive rears springs, rear arb, tiny front arb) to middle/red front arb, 180lb rears (the old 110-180 progressives were knackered) and 275 lb fronts with new dampers (which were also on the way out) and the results were amazing.

before a fast kink on a track was terrifying. afterwards you could pile into a corner WAY to fast, off the throttle a bit to let it tighten a bit then nail it again. i could play with utter confidence, push hard on the track and no it was easy to recover it. would thoroughly recommend it.

the ride is a bit stiffer but it only really means that i don't boot it on wet bumpy roundabouts under cornering - ie its not a problem, OTOH i use an aero screen and unpadded tillets so am a bit unhinged anyway! :))

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Sean,

The cost is not cheap - it's as per Caterham's advert in low flying

All I can remember is the £595 for widetrack including new anti-roll bar - this includes VAT and fitting.

All the rest will add another £500 or so. Gulp - I'm trying to forget about the cost.

I tried your web page but the links don't seem to work for me (assuming they are links)