Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Drum brakes on live axle

Sam Monoogian

Erm, kinda embarassing this one. I swiftly dismantled the drum brakes 2 months ago when I needed to withdraw the halfshafts. Today when I finally went to put it back together I couldn't figure out where a spring goes.

I've replaced the 2 springs that connect the shoes and also the springs that go over the shoe locating pins. I assume the one I have left is for the handbrake lever but cannot see where it connects to? Any ideas?

If it's an Ital it will be as follows.

make sure the cylinder is free to slide firts of all!.

The bottom of the shoes have a trapezoidal hole, that's for the handbrake lever. The longr of the two springs goes to the bottom and the shorter goes on the top. The shorter springs hooks feed up from the back trought the inner of the two sets of holes with end of the hook going through the outer set of holes.

The longer spring then just hooks over the the bottom of the shoes near the cylinder. It's easier to put the top spring on first, put them on the adjuster, put the shoe which fits on the hand brake lever on the bottom then hook the longer spring over to both shoes and stretch the other shoe over the other side of the cylinder.

The pins then go through hole in the back plate and through a hol ein the shoes to locate them with the two small springs and caps.

I hope this helps!

Graham

Sam, There are 3 springs, you have a short spring this goes in to the hand brake plate just under the brake cilinder, clip the hook witch is on the spring side in to this plate the other side goes into the rectangle in the shoe.the spring with the two spirals on the end has to be on the top of the shoe in the oval holes and runs just under the brake cilinder and last the spring with the spiral in the middle goes at the bottom in the round holes.

Sorry i do not have a scanner but i hopes this helps.