Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear suspension, rose joints on dampers?

Morls

I've been told that rose jointed rear shocks can make a positive improvement to the ride quality of a live axle car, in addition to the usual benefits of more precise location / damper action.

Apparently the ride improvement is due to reduced stiction in the damping rods (as the bending moment in the damper rod induced during roll {or one wheel hitting a bump} is not present).

The theory appears sound but of couse us laymen always associate rose joints with a poorer ride.

So... has anyone tried this mod?

If so...what is done at the top of the suspension unit?

All comments gratefully received BEFORE I buy new shocks.

This, or similar, threads must be stopped after I've spent my money to avoid wrong-decision-regretsmile.gif

Mark

Mark

The theory with rose jointed dampers on a live axle (BOTTOM BUSH REPLACED ONLY)

is that when in roll the rose joint allows the damper to rotate avoiding putting undue bending force on the damper rod. This again in theory allows the damper ,when the car is in roll, to do it's job correctly , absorbing bumps, rather than semi-locking due to the bend.

I've modified my axle this way and I feel it has greatly improved handling and traction in roll conditions.

As to whitch dampers ,you pay your money you take your choice.Lots of people rate LEDAS, they are certainly good , I've driven a mates , who uses them and traction and ride are very good (Better than a lot of DeDIONS I've Driven).I've not used these as they are fairly expensive and I'm poor. I have used AVO's

whish initialy seemed to harsh, but I've recently spoken to AVO and the will at a small cost valve them to my exact spec (AWAITIG RESULTS)

The top of the damper is left standard and I didn't feel the rose joint made the ride significantly harder.

CHRIS

Chris,

Cheers for the feedback. I too have looked at Ledas and AVOs. The man on the AVO stand at Stonleigh seemed to think the standard range of damping would suit, so... either hey've changed them (good), or they will want to charge me for later mods (bad).

The Ledas are far from cheapsad.gif, so the choice is still open.

Mark

I went Avo about 3 yrs ago. I noticed a big improvement.

If that was all rose joint or new dampers or a split it is hard to tell.

I could travel much faster over the bumpy roads than before...

The damping rates were ok for the road I had them set on 0 or 1 click mostly but suited the track better with a few more clicks.

I specifically asked for valving for a 7 = very light car...

Avo may have improved the valving for a seven.

Good luck.

Mark

As steve has said , I to run with the AVO's backed almost right off and feel they are still a little hard.Due to this I spoke with a bloke called nigel at AVO, he said if I return them , for £10 each they will revalve them so they act in the mid-range of there adjustment.

AVO have been very helpfull from the start and I think if I had asked the right questions initially they would of been right first time. Got to be worth checking at the outset that they are going to give the right settings as obviously in the past ,if not now their standard settings must of been a bit on the hard side.

CHRIS