Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Have I finally gone over the edge with weight saving?

Julian Thompson

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

😬 😬 😬 😬 Just these bl**dy front wings that keep coming out wrong since making a new mould *mad* Think I have just found the reason so fingers crossed. Anyone want a job lot of cheap wings *wink*

Julian, props arrived this afternoon.

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Here is a copy of a letter I recently wrote:

Mr S Claus, Greenland,

Dear Santa,

I am working on a project to reduce the mass of my Caterham kit car, and was wondering if you could comment on the performance of your sleigh, which I notice does without the encumberance of having any wheels at all. I was particularly interested to find out if you have ever done any track days with the sleigh, and if so, what the on the limit handling was like?

Do you think that the sleigh would break 700bhp/tonne if I fitted a Raceco Blackbird engine? Also, I wondered what your thoughts were on some LED tail lamps for the sleigh - I was thinking about doing this but wondered if you had ever been stopped by the Police yourself with non E marked lighting? What sort of bulb does Rudolph use in his nose? Is that LED or 21W?

I know you are very busy at this time of year so your reply will be received gratefully. PS Would you fancy a bulk buy on some carbon fibre steering rope?

Yours sincerely

Julian Thompson

Julian if you'd started with one of these - here and removed a similar amount of weight you'd easily have a very light R600 😬

Pre-October 1959: Original 100E Ford model without spare wheel - 725lbs and Export 100E Ford model with spare wheel - 822lbs. October 1959: Ford 100E model - 918lbs and BMC "A" Series model - 896lbs