Click here if you are having website access problems ×

redline?

stutch

How does it feel after about 6300rpm? Does it feel a bit rough? I think the Caterham spec supersprint engine gives maximum power about 6200 rpm (can anyone confirm this?) in which case it isn't really worth going about 6500. Have you ever had it on a rolling road? If so, do you have a graph of power vs engine speed? It would be interesting to work out the engine speeds in each gear as you change up. As long as your change up point doesn't make the engine speed drop below 3500rpm in the next higher gear then you'll be OK, because the supersprint has plenty of torque from 3500.

I've always kept mine to a red-line of 6000 unless I'm being a hooligan. Even then, I won't go above 6200. This is partly to prolong engine life, though. After 6200, it sounds rough and I don't think it's happy to go faster.

I'd definitely second the comment above about asking Roger King. He might be along in a minute to chip in himself.

Anthony

PS another engine builder I spoke to recently, when I told him what revs I typically use, told me I was driving like a granny!

Edited by - ashaughnessy on 12 May 2002 21:01:03

• Leadership Team

I run a 1700 SS, with an engine built in 1992 to a higher spec than the Caterham engine, and it is balanced. My engine still has standard Supersprint pistons, and it is these that are the 'weakest link'. Roger King's advice to me recently was to red line at 6000 rpm. Any more than this and you risk an expensive and spectacular accident.

If you want your engine to rev higher Roger suggests rebuilding with forged pistons

This is interesting to me at the moment as I am just having my xflow rebuilt with forged pistons. However, apart from the pistons, the rebuild will be to the same spec, i.e. same cam, same valves, same head, etc.

With a 234 cam then peak power might be around 6000 to 6200 rpm, and there is plenty of torque from about 3500 rpm, and I have a four speed box.

SO - is there any advantage to be able to use higher revs once I've got forged pistons (and possibly some other small uprates like better con-rod bolts and steel rocker post, etc) ? If peak power is still at the same place and the torque curve is the same, would I go faster by using a higher redline?

Anthony

I asked the factory this question a year or so ago and got the following reply:

Following a unprecedented debate within in the engine shop as to the actual limit, the desirable limit, the max power limit, the durability limit, etc, etc, a figure of 7000rpm has been agreed.

I hope this information is of use to you and should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

SIMON LAMBERT

Aftersales Manager

---

However, as I wish to keep my engine intact I have set my rev limited at about 6700 to allow a greater margin of safety.

Cheers,

Graham

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!