Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Does believing in re-incarnation stop evil?

The Village Idiot

Haven't put this on upstairs cos 'they' just wouldn't get 'it' and I think I might have caused enough sh!t up 'there' for one evening already, but anyway....

I had a pupil today (to teach driving not in the other sense b4 YOU lot say) and she was not quite herself so I say what's up ????, She says she's had a very bad weekend, she is studying A level RS/Philosophy and had to write a 2000 word essay on the thread title. WTF has believing in a notion that can not be proved got to do with people hurting each other (when you strip it right down that for me is what evil is).

My instant reply to the question was No, an abstract belief does not stop harm. I asked the girl what her conclusion was she said well that's very tricky but I think no etc...

I was upset that an education system can create so much confusion on what I think was really a straight forward question - ie the questions wrong comparing apples with pears it had ruined the girls weekend, caused confusion and she still had no idea of right and wrong.

Oh well I'll never be a philosopher - I'm far too shallow for that.

Richard

PS looking forward to Fletch's reply to this, it's always a rfreshingly different view 😬

Every dirty job dirty dick does!!!

an education system can create so much confusion

[serious mode] Isn't that the point of education - and certainly of philosophy - to make people question what they think they know, and therefore to reach a different and deeply thought out understanding? Better that she spent her weekend thinking about that, than a lot of what the press would have us believe youngsters are doing these days? Presumably she thought that otherwise she'd be doing Media Studies? [/sM]

This is completely unacceptable behaviour someone who lives near Chichester. Minty!

I'm with GTD ... it's not the point whether there's a right or wrong answer to the question, it's about whether a decent argument can be developed either way. I think it's encouraging to hear that A level students are been asked to think, but it's pointless to struggle over something, and I think that's the problem in this case, not the question.

If something is not proven but you still accept it as truth, that is the essence of belief ... therefore if you believe in re-incarnation it may well stop evil because you'd possibly consider the consequences of your actions in the present life if you thought you may return to suffer them in another ... bit early in the morning for this maybe

I love seeing how my children's education is developing - My son had learnt the salient 'facts' about William the Conqueror in year 5, but my daughter ( in year 7) had been learning about the conflicting evidence that questioned most of what my son had learnt. For saying how young they both were, it was a very interesting conversation to overhear.

Beliving in re-incarnation as opposed to a)dead, that's it, there's nothing more b)spiritual afterlife (heaven and hell)

Well.

If one is evil and one is coming back again in a bit, world will be less good OR you'll come back as a dungbeetle/blade of grass, so there will be people who don't behave evil otherwise it will be less good for them in the future

If one is evil and there's a hell... well you're up for a warm afterlife, so there will be people who don't do it as they'll burn

If you believe in nothing at all after dead, the disincentive to be evil has to be rooted in the real world - you might get caught, you might get hurt, you've been brought up to do the right thing etc - all these things also apply to the previous two short descriptions.

Interestingly, your definition of evil is also dictated by your beliefs. i.e. is there a universal standard for "evil", or does believing in reincarnation put you in a pigeonhole that says "killing anything at all, even for food, is evil.

Finally. STOP is a great word. STOP means "there's no more evil"? or STOP means "there's less evil".

If it means less then "yes" is the answer

If it means NO MORE then "NO" is the answer as your definition of evil would probably change

my head hurts