Click here if you are having website access problems ×

RADIUS ARM & A FRAME BUSH REMOVAL??? HELP!!!help

JampJ

Took mine to be repowdercoated, and the guy said the rubber bushes have got to come out due to the high temperature used in the process.Does it need a special press, can they be reused if I get them out, if not I suppose I could hacksaw them out. Do new ones need a press to get them in? Do I have to get new ones from Caterham? BTW their powdercoating's c**p.I'm sure you all knew that anyway.

All advise gladly accepted.

Cheers John.

You will need a press to get them out or a big punch and a very large hammer. (A press is best) Its isn't easy as the walls of the tube that hold the bushes are not wide and they can be damaged if you are not careful. You could theoretically hacksaw them out, but it means a junior hacksaw and the metal is hardish.

I would say you must fit new bushes afterwards as pushing them out may damage the rubber , and they are not dear to buy . The new bushes will need to be pushed in with a press. Most local small engineering companies would have something to do this, it only takes a few minutes.

You are right about Caterhams powdercoating, see previous em's.

Might be worth looking at replacing them with powerflex bushes if they do them, you can get them direct I believe and once they are in they stay in,

on my Audi the front lower arms used to go each MOT but the powerflex bushes have lasted the last three years so far. Standard bushes cost me £3.50 each and I needed four but the labour charge was an hour a side each MOT so the amount I have saved has more than paid for them. I will be replacing all the bushes on my 7 when funds allow.

I took my A frame to a local garage, had a chat with reception.

They said have a chat with one of our mechanics and gave the mechanic a fiver for his time! Was a couple of years ago and he did it in his lunch hour. Picked it up a couple of days later.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BDX with Brooklands and Clamshell wings Q 979 CGY

Hi Andy

Well my 6" engineers vice would not shift them! With a small tube one side and a socket the other plus lots of plus gas.

Think the force required is tons not pounds. However, I did not try to fit the new ones! Drifting them out with a hammer was also a failure.

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BDX with Brooklands and Clamshell wings Q 979 CGY

Have just replaced mine and have to say they virtually fell out!! If they are tight, I would have thought twisting them out with a pair of mole grips would probably do the trick. Fitting new ones is a lot easier if you use rubber lubricant (mixture of castor oil & glycerine). I used a small machine vice to compress the bushes to the right length to fit between the 'U' bracket on the diff. and gradually moved it down as the bushes engaged further into the 'U'. Piece of cake and the whole job was done in 30 mins max. teeth.gif teeth.gif

H7 CAT

You can't burn them out! They have a metal shell. They have to be pressed out and the new ones pressed in. I'm not convinced about powerflex for these bushes - the standard ones don't wear out easily. Mine had done 30,000 miles and alot of them were track miles and they looked perfect when they came out. Powerflex is alot more expensive and I really can't believe it will make a significant difference to the handling.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Removal with a junior hacksaw took me about 10 minutes for all 4, and it stops us tightwad Yorkshiremen from considering their re-use.

Replacement with a 4" long M8 bolt (or threaded rod), socket (that fits against the radius arm with enough gap for the bush to fit inside, different socket for each end of the radius arm), washer and nut is equally simple.

Mark

I've managed to get the old ones out, using the hacksaw. I was more concerned about getting the new ones in without damageing the nice new powder coating.

Thanks for all the help guys.

John & Julie.