Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Engine Mount Replacement

Steve Campbell

Having struggled to sort out my waterrail (see other posting)....its now obvious that the nearside engine mount has gone so needs replaced..questions questions....

1) Should I replace LH & RH at the same time just to be sure ?

2) What else should I replace with these (ie rubber mounts ?)

3) Can I jack up the car, lower onto a trusty piece of sturdy timber under the sump to take the weight of the engine or do I need something more sophisticated ?

4) Easy or hard to swap them over ? Any tips ?

Thanks

Steve Campbell

P889 GRR

Steve

I'd replace both, it's as easy as you say, undo the two large 3/4" head bolts holding the engine mount arm to the mount, gently lift the engine with a jack (piece of wood is a good idea) then undo the two nuts/bolts on each mount and replace, One thing I'd do is leave the small nuts/ bolts lose until you have the two larger bolts started in the threads of the mounts to ensure it's aligned

Mark

If this is a K series then IME....

1) LH only, the RH is much better engineered

2) If the mount to engine bolts are a little rogered change them. If the rubber mount looks perished then replace it otherwise don't bother

3) Jack up very lightly under the sump to take the weight of the engine, use a slim piece of wood between the jack and the sump.

4) Easy job, as long as the engine to mount bolts are in good nick, the lower bolt is a bit of a swine to get at, make sure you get the allen in straight otherwise its pretty easy.