Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tunnel top

Vogon SuperTrooper

Foolishly, I have bought a new leather tunnel top to replace my old, carpet worn and elbow bruising variety.

But horrors! The existing tunnel top appears to be a seamless unit so rendering Caterham's advice of 'just pop it on' somewhat inadequate.

And what sort of glue do I need to attach carpet to aluminium?

regards

charles

Any sort of waterproof contact adhesive works. Back when I had a car with carpets I used contact adhesive to stick strips of velcro to the car and to the carpets, so I could easily remove the carpets for cleaning. I never did get around to cleaning them, instead sold the car and got another without carpets - much less soggy in wet weather!

Mike

• Area Representative

Try "Gripperods Gold" double sided carpet tape. I got mine in B&Q. Brilliant stuff, but go easy as the adhesion between it and your skin appears to be stronger than the bond between your skin and your bones. OUCH. Bonded surfaces can be subsequently eased apart so long as you do it extremely g e n t l y .

Crudders

Thanks for the tips on where to place my gripperods. I shall never walk in quite the same way again.

Seriously, can you help with the next bit. The existing tunnel top is a single piece of ali except where the gear stick protrudes: that is a separate plate. So, does the new, one piece, top simply sit over the existing structure? Or do I need the saw?

many thanks. (I didn't know you could still buy Copydex. Invented by a man with bad BO, I think.)

Chalres

• Area Representative

In response to Ms Rexia's enquiry I was err, umm, sticking carpet to aluminium. I've since removed the floor carpets but the infamous "Gripperods Gold" is still there. Might even be sticky too if it wasn't for all the engine oil down there.

Crudders

• Area Representative

In response to Ms Rexia's enquiry I was err, umm, sticking carpet to aluminium. I've since removed the floor carpets but the infamous "Gripperods Gold" is still there. Might even be sticky too if it wasn't for all the engine oil down there.

Crudders