Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearbox Advice

Anthony Micallef

I have a 1.6 Supersport with a 5 speed box. I doubt I would have the 2.5k to buy a 6 speed from Caterham. What are the alternatives to getting a gearbox which is more suited to my engine(and my pocket) than my current 5 speed? Could I just change the internals or would it be better getting a completely different unit?

The Happy 7 Ownerteeth.gifteeth.gifteeth.gif

Anthony, I investigated this -

6 speed £2,300

Arnie's 6 speed - cheaper than that

Quaife (and I think SBC) do a close ratio 5 speeder based on the standard 5 speed casing - I think a figure of £600 upwards was mentioned for that (the lower figure being, I think, a DIY job with parts supplied)...

Sequential 'box - lots of dosh, unless you're Arnie.... no easy way I'm afraid

Try Brian Hill (BGH) on 01580 714114, he does a variety of ratios for the 5 speed, approx £700 for a box, less if he modifies your own. SPC (01527 894232) do a helical close ratio box but I believe this is nearer £1200. I have been using a BGH "sporting close" (modified 1st and 5th) for 3 years and it has been great, the ratios are not as close as the previous strait cut quaiffe but it is quiet, it does what it says on the tin.

Paul

I maintain that Alex Wong's SPC-built (Quaife internals) type-9 5-speeder is the best gearbox I've ever used. I love my 6-speeder but it doesn't fall into gear as easily as Alex's. The ratios are perfect for his torquey Vx too. I don't think that a 6-speeder represents good VFM if you already have a 5-speeder which you could get modified easily.

Sean

The gearbox was originally on a steel x-flow but is now on a Zetec, the ratios are fine for both of those. Never had a standard 5 speed box so cannot give you a comparison but 1st is a useful ratio (i.e. not just for pulling away) and the modified 5th means that it ain't just a motorway cruising gear.

Anthony

There is some BGH info on the Dave (DV) Andrews site. He is located at Cranbrook in Kent.

Paul

I had BGH do mine years ago. The problem with the standard type 9 is that 1st is way too low. It was even too low on the ford V6 powered cars, from which these originated. You are changing up at about 15mph when you need to be going faster than that. BGH fit a new shaft that incorporates a higher 1st gear that to my mind is dead right for a seven. I cannot remember exactly but I think it runs to about 30 mph now (I'm too lazy to do the calculations today)but it 'feels' right. I believe 5th is lowered slightly as well, which also suits the seven.