Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Dash Change - whats the easiest way?

finmac

If yours is the same as mine then it will be riveted to the dash tubes.....I believe it is also bonded on with silicone or similar. The rivets are up under the scuttle lip so difficult to get at.

The proper way to do this is going to be to remove the scuttle and take it form there. I reckon you could chisel the rivet heads off adn probably do it without removing the scuttle but I don't thibk you will get as good a result when fitting the new dash as ou would if you remove the scuttle.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

From what I can see (not thru experience) I would say drill or hammer/wood chisel to remove the old one.

Guages on mine are held in with brackets + knurled screws. Easy to remove.

Re-fitting of new one ?. I'll read this thread later with interest when knowledgeable people have replied. (Though until I can buy a carbon dash with all the holes ready cut out it'll be a while until I fit one myself 😬).

New dash has all the cut outs done, so thats a relief!

Have read of people velcro ing the carbon dash in place either that and/or bonding i.e. siliconing in place.

Reckon its best to take the guages and switches out before taking the old dash out?

Im about to go through this too, but only as an aside while Ive got the scuttle, heater tray & bulkhead out. I plan on removing the dash by drilling out the rivets with dials etc attached, then supporting it all and tranfering each item & wiring over to the new one. Then Ill re-rivet it on with some Tiger seal or black silicone - which do people think would be preferable?

So much easier with the scuttle top off. I drilled the rivets out of the vertical scuttle panel so I could leave everything on the vertical. Even seeing which wire goes where is simple with the scuttle off. A bit of tape and write on it to indicate off wires helps.

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Thanks for the replies gents. (Chaz thats a good link.....cool haircut by the way!)

OK next question, how does scuttle come off? Simply drill out all the pop rivets, would small stainless self tappers be a better way to refit the scuttle?

If you want to leave the scuttle attached to the front b'head panel (save drilling out all those rivets) then remove the two bolts thru the steering column flange, remove the engine side of the loom and anything going into the engine bay, unbolt fuse box + relays etc from the panel and lift all off in one piece.

Depends what else you ar doing as to whether this is a preferred option to just removing the lid of the scuttle !

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of ideas from the Continent.

My LHD Twin Cam had a rebuild in 1987 and the dashboard has been mounted with aluminium screws in cup washers. The look is very good and it is ofcourse very easy to remove the dashboard.

Concerning the best way to remove the scuttle, I am sure that the solution with rivnuts or a bolt / screw combination is the best one. Ofcourse the scuttle will be "wobbly" when taking it off, but there are no problems or issues with removing all the things that hang on or go through the vertical panel.

Jack Flash