Click here if you are having website access problems ×

rear indicator problems

bcm1

Help, this one has really got me stuck.

RHS rear indicator cluster, on indicating right all bulbs are lighting up at less than normal brightness (they are flshing), also LHS rear indicator flashing faintly. Indicating left, left rear indicator works fine, normal intensity and on its own.

On braking and indicating right RHS indicator light comes on but does not flash.

Any ideas please, I am really stumped, pretty competant with a spanner but no idea when it comes to electrics! If its of any significance the car is a 1600 crossflow, ex scholorship/grads car

thanks

Ben

Ben definately a bad earth what happens is the circuit can't find a good earth and traces back through the other bulbs to find one hence the others flashing

Start with the earth for the RH indicator, find the earth connection to the cluster or that particular bulb preferably. You can prove if it's that by creating a good earth to it (take a wire directly from the negative on the battery or find a good earthing point on the chassis) If the indicator starts working correctly then the earth to that bulb is the problem, try cleaning the contacts if it doesn't cure it find a permanent way of attaching a good earth to the circuit

If there is no change then it's a bit of trial and error, work through the RH cluster doing the same test and then the LH

Good luck!

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 9 May 2002 20:34:38

We call it the "Christmas Tree" effect at work!!!!

I reckon Mr F355GTS has it dead right. Earth issues!!

PS - It is really easy if you have a decent multimeter to check the quality of the earth connections. Look for <0.3ohm between battery -ve and your wire as an indication of a quality connection.

Good luck!

Mark, Julian,

Excellent advice, traced it back to the earth wire-had been pulled about 3mm out of the male-female connection just back from the light cluster. Wouldnt even have noticed unless I was looking for it.

many thanks

Ben