Click here if you are having website access problems ×

270 BHP XE Engine £4500

Anthony

The engine was in Peter T's car and I brought it as a spare (picked up this summer). Swindon have nearly finished my new engine, hence this one for sale.The engine has been meticulously prepared by Peter and is of the highest quality. In summary;-

It is a 16 valve XE engine.

Iron block 86.25mm

Omega intruder Forged pistons.

Doug Kiddie Lightweight Narrow Journal Touring Car spec steel Crank. Never been ground standard journal size.

Arrow steel lightweight con rods.ARP bolts.

Compression ratio 11-5-1.

Combustion bowl 41 CCs.

Full race spec head with Paul Ivey one piece valves.

Inlet valves 1mm oversize.

Isky double valve springs.

Titanuim lightweight valve caps.

Cooling and oil modifications to head.

Cometic composite Head gasket.

ARP head stud bolts.

ARP Flywheel bolts

lightweight steel flywheel

Sputter bearings throughout bottom end.

Modified SBD/ inlet/ exhaust cams with 11.9mm lift.

Just rebuilt again by Peter after he purchased it new in 2002.

Never done more that 100 miles since re fresh.

Dyno sheets to prove.

Like new, genuine 270 BHP 8630 RPM at Road and Race.

Torque 175lbft@ 6500.

It has a lovely linear hp and toque curve for its delivery.

This is ideal for a complete upgrade to any 7 for serious performance, at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

I am looking for £4.5k. New Swindon engine forces reluctant sale as I can no longer afford a spare.

Anthony.burgess@networkrail.co.uk

Anthony

tough call it probably is worth that money to the right buyer but there's not many people choosing VX as a new install these days.

For reference I bought a 250BHP Engine 2 Years ago for similar money but it came with all ancillaries including TB's, MBE, Loom, Sump, Bellhousing, flywheel, twin plate clutch etc ie a drop in turnkey solution

I spoke with Steve Mell some months ago about selling my 274 spec engine (not dissimilar spec to yours) and suggested I'd probably ask around £2,750, he thought that was way too cheap with Steel Cranks alone costing that sort of money

Do you have it advertised elsewhere?

Mark

I'm (hopefully if SWMBO agrees) going to upgrade my Vx to about 250 in the new year and I'm budgeting somewhere between £4-5k. If this was as Mark says a 'turn key solution' then I would have considered it but to add the rest of the bits to get it going would be significant and not a cost I could stand. Knowing Peter though no expense would have been spared *thumbup*

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Anthony,

As Mark says..it's all about waiting or finding someone who wants to upgrade their Vx set up. Considering the cost of 'new' your engine looks to be priced correctly. You also have to consider the time of year etc..If you really need to shift it, you could place it on Ebay with a reserve, try Racecars direct or what about some of the hillclimb/grasstrack/westie sites where Vx's are still reasonably popular.

I know how much Swindon stuff costs..and you are right, this engine is a bargain compared to their prices.

Thanks chaps,

The Swindon bill has gone well over £15k, without the anciallaries, induction etc, and will me buying dry sump kit direct from Pace.

Agree there is a timing think here - just need to wait for someone to see how economical it is in comparison 😬 if only VX's werent so strong.

I have it on pistonheads, and had a few phonecalls and a chap from Japan as well.

Ho hum, will keep it in dehumidified garage a bit longer *wink*

Thanks Pete,

It worked, Steve Alexander has purchased the engine, and will be sweeping the board in the Scottish Sprint championship.

For anyone is following the saga, my Swindon engine is ready to be dyno'd, and with the spend reaching the cost of a new 7 (dont ask because I cannot even think about justifying it) , something had to give and it was the beautiful engine Pete had.

dont ask because I cannot even think about justifying it

Can't help myself . . . I won't mention justification. However, what do you get for £15K+ if this does not include ancillaries, induction, or dry sump - I'm genuinely interested. Do you get an ally block for instance? Nice flywheel/clutch? Will this be 'ultimate' VX spec, or can one spend even more money on them?

I know the power to cost curve is not linear, but I was just wondering what sort of power you'll be happy with come dyno day?

With Swindon you get ABSOLUTE after sales confidence. They are not cheap, you can get similar performance for a lot less money but the whole experience of dealing with a supplier of Swindons calibre is worth a lot.

We have one club member who trashed a very expensive Swindon engine very soon after fitting it. The steel crank broke and although lesser companies may have been tempted to use the easy way out and point the finger at the owner, Swindon inspected the crank and confirmed a manufacturing fault (not of their making) and rebuilt the engine. That sort of service has a value...

How much value depends on your perspective.

Hi Paul,

It was you I was thinking of, but declined to mention names on the basis of discretion!

Great to hear all the Vx boys still so keen about their motors...I've just taken advantage of getting a new Vx motor for 2008 to go with my full re-build and I can honestly say I can't wait to get the project finished.

I love my car 🥰

My only big fear is the new loom...

Happy Xmas to all the Vx lads!

Hi everyone,

This all started with a mag cam cover...so beware. Swindon were working on my induction and having arrived early and waiting for Eric, I started lusting after a mag cover...Eric agreed to provide one.

The problem was my existing head was on the car, and I really didnt want to dismantle a fresh engine. I did have a coscast head, so I embarked on a full touring car spec head...6.3k later...i need a bottom for it. Do I a) put it on Pete's engine - which would be bonkers even for me, as its just re-built and set up by Road and Race b) build a new bottom end. This includes, brand new block, steel rods, doug kiddie 2.2 crank etc etc.

The team at Swindon have also helped with my existing induction system, and nothing has been too much trouble.

The bill for the new engine will be significant, but should be about as far as you can sensibly go with a n/a VX, and I can leave it along. There are cheaper solutions but the service has been out of this world.

Will it be much more powerful than pete's, I suspect not, but better the components are put to good use, either in my chassis or in Steve's.

I know many of you will think i have lost my marbles, but it is a strange ilogical addiction. Anyway, the 964 is a cheap distraction in the meantime (and cost less than the engine)

Anthony

Those swindon mag cam covers are the dogs danglies, i went through exactly the same conversation with Eric, except i manged to stop after the purchase of said cam cover, mind you the retail price of over 1k for a new cover alone does sting abit 😬.

My vx ended up with the Head casting as the only original vx part, as we fitted an alloy block, engine was iirc 85kgs inc flywheel/clutch and induction.

Dave

Dave, thats fanastic, i nearly went down ali block route, but it was really starting to get exceptionally expensive. Engine must be fantastic, all that torque and same as a k 😬

Scary what can happen when you look in shop windows, mind you Marius's Speiss carbon one will always be in the back of my mind *eek*