Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Small patch of oil underneath gearbox

Shad

When I got the car out of the garage earlier I noticed a small patch of oil underneath where the gearbox would have been. Nothing too serious, just a few drips worth.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? What to check, what to look for, best way to get at it?? It's a 6 speed box with 23k miles.

Cheers *smile*

I would check to see if it is leaking from the speedo drive if so it is a case of TADTS. For piece of mind I would check the oil level and leave it at that. IIRC the oil seal cannot be replaced without removing the gearbox and even then there is no guarantee it will not leak again.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Mine used to leak & I must have replaced 3 or 4 seals over the years. Pesky little bu$$ers to get back in. I got so fed up with it I removed the speedo mechanism & blanked it off with a kit one can get from Ford ( or from R & R). Costs about a fiver & yes it can be done in situ but one has to drill a suitable hole in the tunnel for access.

Replaced the speedo with an electrical one from VDO driven off the front wheel. This of course matches the other VDO instruments if one has the old style instruments. Merlin Motorsport here are very helpful.

I actually ordered some MTL from Opie Oils today, based on the posts of some other 6-speed users I read through. Will see how I get on. I'll keep an eye on the speedo leak but wont loose sleep over it.

I had a look tonight at the access to the fill plug... which clown designed that then 😔

I had a look tonight at the access to the fill plug... which clown designed that then
The same clown that advised you to use a cut-down 10mm Allen key to access & remove the plug. I put a piece of copper tube over the end to undo it. Don't do it up too tight.

Tip *idea*: Get a long piece of transparant tube & fill via a funnel from the engine compartment.

I' ve got an old 4-speed box but from time to time I also see a small oil leak somwehere under the gearbox. The engine and gearbox were out about a year ago and we replaced all possible seals.

Could the speedo seal or another one be leaking again in such a short time ?

BTW, I noticed some time ago a hole in the left side of the tunnel. Perhaps the former owner made this hole to replace the seal on a regular basis ?

Jack Flash

Mine has the hole too, probably for access for replacing the speedo drive at a guess?

I replaced the oil over the weekend for some MTL. Very impressed with the result, much slicker gear changes and much less notchy when cold. Ended up buying a set of allen keys and using the grinder to cut a piece the right length. Surprisingly straight forward after that *smile*

You can try brute force for getting the tunnel top off, but I would recommend the following.

Normally held by a self tapper either side at the back (into the rear bulkhead)

You will need to either fully slacken off or disconnect the handbrake. The lever needs to come vertical.

Unscrew the gear lever knob.

Lift the back (you might need to remove seats to do this) and slide it back and up to remove.

Is it a K series *confused*

If so, you can remove the top of the 6 speed box from the engine bay. Once its off, just make sure if there is a seal, that it is properly fitted when you put the lid back on.

If no seal, re-seal the lid with Wurf RTF or similiar, or do as I did, and bin the rubber seal and use the Wurf anyway.