Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Anaerobic sealant

Clawhammer

• Leadership Team

Definately Loctite 574 *thumbup*

I used Hylomar a few years back on a wet sump install and when investigating following a worrying drop in oil pressure, I found it had broken away from the inside of the seal and was blocking the pickup pipe *eek*

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Thanks guys,

I will have a look on the web tonight.

Howard, Hi

I had some issues with gear selection during the season and am having the gearbox refreshed, will replace the clutch while I'm at it. Hopefully I will go quicker up the hills next year

Robin

SUPERLIGHT 176. PINK LIPS AND BITS *redface* *redface* *redface*

"I found it had broken away from the inside of the seal and was blocking the pickup pipe" Steve how much did you apply! ! ! !........I've used Hylomar in the past, but have given it away now as I believe it has Tricloroethane (spelling) as a solvent to keep it as a spreadable paste,

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.

• Leadership Team

Whose Steve *confused*

A thin bead along the join - there's always some that "oozes" out on the inside and you'd be surprised how the tiniest bits block the filter holes in the pickup pipe! The thin line of Hylomar that you see on the outside of the join will be repeated on the inside and is enough to cause a problem. Hylomar sets to a rubbery consistency and remains so in the oil - the Loctite anaerobic will only set where the air has been removed, ie. in the sump to block join itself. Any small amount that is not in the join itself will be washed away and not cause an issue. Hylomar works well in other areas of the engine (standard for fitting liners) but not the sump join.

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

Nigel, what's the issue with trich? It only comes up as "harmful" with a recommendation to keep it off skin and not inhale the vapour. It has a "possibly mutagenic/teratogenic" note and can cause dermatitis by defatting the skin. Given the quantities involved in a smear of Hylomar and your frequency of exposure, I would have thought that normal sensible precautions would protect you.