Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Crow foot wrenches

RodW

Can anybody offer any help on these devices? I'm considering them as a way round the difficulty in terms of access for nuts/blots that are hard to get to with a torque wrench and socket (eg front suspension damper top bolts, front suspension top and bottom ball joints.) Do they work? Do you have to adjust the torque setting to allow for the fact that they move the torque wrench away from the bolt head? If so, is that an increase or decrease and how much? From where can they be obtained and their cost? etc. Are there alternative solutions?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

RodW

RGW

Yup I am looking for some too for the from suspension.

I have seen some metric sets in car shops about 27pounds a set of 5 or so

as I only really want one size seems to be a waste of money so if anybody knows where you can get single ones at a reasonable price please let us know

They are effectively the end on an open ended spanner, with a hole for a square drive. Thus they can be used on a ratchet or a torque wrench, but as they are much slimmer than a socket, they will fit in spaces where a socket won't.

I would still much appreciate any info regarding their effect on torque settings, as in my original post.

Thanks

Rod W.

RGW

Not necessarily, crows feetquestion.gif are also available as ring spanner and socket type ends.

The calculation is and I am not sure how this will come out but here goes.

Torque Reading = T wrench effective length X Torque desired (divided by)

T wrench effective length + Extension length

Torque wrench effective length is center of drive square to the lengthways center of handle.

Extension length is center of drive square to center of ring end (open, socket end).

Therefore, using a 12" wrench for a desired torque of 30lbf/ft with a 6" extension.

= 12 X 30

12 + 6

= _360_

= 20 lbf/ft read on the torque meter

teeth.gif

Steve B