Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Coolant leaking into footwell

grasshopper

• Support Team

Test it in a bucket of water, using a foot pump.

Save putting it all back together and finding it still leaks *cry*

The plastic on the heater enclosure is so fragile, I don't know how many times it will come apart before it splits!

"Are the o-rings CC only, or is there a suitable equivalent out there that is readily available ?"

I bought a mixed pack from B&Q for the princely sum of £1.08 which had a pair the right size.

Bit late for testing off the car now, good tip though. I suspect part of my problem may have been the clamp holding one of the pipes onto the matrix; it was one of those single use metal clips, rather than a normal jubilee clip (which is what's now on there). It was a little loose when it came off, but it's nice and tight now.

We shall see later...

Right, bullet bitten, new heater ordered on the basis that when I popped the first couple of rivets off, the surrounding plastic about 2 inches in each direction came with it, leaving the '7' embossed part of the heater flapping in the breeze so to speak. I expect that the matrix is entirely servicable, I can see that it's leaked from the same place as Shad's but without a housing it basically redundant. I'll keep it as a spare though, someone may want one! The housing was incredibly brittle, I'm a bit surprised at that.

The new heater + fan unit from CC is a different design to the old one and (I'm told) comes with an adapter kit. Any issues I get from fitting it I'll put on here as well so at the minimum this thread is now a resource for when (not if!) others have the same issue.

Chris

S7UPL (it's a SUPerLight 7...)

It allegedly reduces the amount of external water (and hopefully for your sake, coolant !!!) that can get through the vents, as I understand it has some attempt at drainage back into the engine bay.

Curious - what is the difference between the Heater Unit and Heater Kit on CC webshop ? Both same price ( *eek*), but the kit includes mounting plate, bypass valve, etc. Also, does this new model only blow through the eyeball vents, and not also through the triangular openings like the older design ? No holes in the adaptor plate ?

7 related photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 28 Nov 2007 13:52:54

I have the new model in my car and as well as the circular vents, it has a small rectangular outlet at the bottom on each side that faces forwards into the footwells.

I noticed a leak on mine when we were away on the 50th and it did, indeed, drain into the engine bay. *idea*I must remember to sort that out when I do the engine swap in a few weeks.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Just removed and refitted heater matrix. Main problem was the flashing either side of the plastic tubes (ridge from the moulding process) that the heater hoses fit to on the matrix. That coupled with crappy hose clips, now binned and replaced with proper hose clips.

Took a few photos along the way - hope these may help anyone else nervous of starting this. Remarkably easy once I knew (thanks to previous postings above) that the shroud was held in place with re-usable plastic drive rivets.

Photos can be seen - here

7 related photos

I have noe fitted a new style heater to my car. Not entirely straight-forward and it does involve drilling holes in your car *eek*. In any case, it's in now.

I took some photos along the way which are here and I've added a few comments along the way.

If anyone in the future finds that they need to do this, give me a shout and I'll let you know what's involved.

Chris

S7UPL (it's a SUPerLight 7...)