Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Aeroscreen

Mr G

Bear in mind that any DIY version you just knock up in a shed will not have had the extensive on-car real road testing that RiF and I carried out at a secret test location in western France *wink* so cannot be expected to perform in the same fashion.

For a fee* I can be persuaded, without betraying any professional confidences relating to my role as Aeroscreen Testing and Development Engineer (Outsourced) to RiF, to advise on how to design and build a perspex aeroscreen that will perform as required. *smile*

*Beer

so there's 5 people interested...so far, how does one get a price. RiF would you be interested in an order if so what are the costs likely to be? If it was the same shape as the carbon aero then bits like mirrors could just be swapped over.

Sounds like a good idea to me

I've searched the net for Perspex moulders but can find nothing helpful other than process and as i don't have shapers i'd be all at sea *redface*

I wasn't for a minute thinking of encroaching on RiF's intellectual property rights, but if Richard couldn't do it maybe he could grant a licence to someone?

I was thinking of the people who make perspex screens for racers. However as BOSS says, they are not very durable - you only have to look at historic racing cars or motor-cycle screens to see that, as they are often cracked and split.

Alan

The existence of chance is everything and nothing whilst the greatest achievement is the living of life.

I am still a bit confussed *confused* Why do you all want a perspex aero when we can do a low carbon one? We can make a carbon version any height and have found the shorter versions work still far better than any others made. The only time anyone has said about wanting more vision are a few track drivers who want to see more of their front wing. I think this thread is now very confusing for the general aero driver as the majority want as much protection as possible and the restriction in view is not a problem for normal road use. We have sold many hundreds if not over a thousand by now and the above thread is really now a different subject to the first question. If I can help by expanding my range to suit those that do want max vision then I am pleased to discuss. Don't think I can help in Perspex though. Always after giving the customer something that they want *wink*

Watch it BOSS *mad* 😬

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Richard, i'll speak for my view as i can't comment for others.

The lowered aero IMHO would still leave some vision obscured (which is more a matter for trackdays admittedly) and would in my mind not be as efficient at deflecting wind and light debris over my head. Plus with the standard aero on, being 5.8 i can't see the bonnet and only the top part of the headlights which somehow visually makes the car less fun to drive for me as that view is part of it.

Don't get me wrong, i love the aero (though not in the wet) but a really nice design in Lexan may just be the ticket IF there is enough demand to make it reasonable on price.

wild bill: Many moons ago, there was a batch of clear perspex JPE screens made up. IIRC, Steve Foster was something to do with it, but maybe it was someone else *confused*

If enough people are interested, maybe someone who can be 🙆🏻'd could start a new thread to get definates, and then get some made up?

Thanks for the feed back.

Will not bent perspex distort the vision and not actually improve the visability???? From my experiences of clear plastic bent the optical charactoristics are terrible and once a few flies and stones have hit it, will you actually gain anything *confused*

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Yes Richard it's still OK - you can get enough vision through it to be able to duck low when trucks are passing you in the opposite direction and avoid the stones and also when you get caught out in the rain you can hide behind it.

Optically it is not great, obviously, but a clear aero is still easier to see through than a carbon one 😬

I liked my carbon screen but once you have used a clear one you will struggle to go back...