Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Helmets & certifications

Alias

Both are approved for UK motorsport. The BS stamped lid will be VAT free ('cos it's effectively a road legal "bike" lid, and therefore required by law), whilst the SA2000 will attract VAT at the prevailing rate.

Blatman is of course right. The VAT does sting and I was on a bit of a budget when I bought my lid a couple of days ago.

The BS you quoted does not have a fire retardent lining and therefore you will have to wear a fire resistant balaclava. You can also get helmets to BS6658-85 Type A/FR that do have a fire resistant (FR) lining. I have just bought a Bell K1 sports which has the Snell 2000 certification which some people (not all) think is better. It was £211.99 plus VAT and postage but I think that is excellent value.

What everyone says is right - you must try the helmet before you buy and it must be right for you. I did not have a lot of money but I got the best helmet I could.

Ade teeth.gif

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

I suggest a browse here for more on Snell certification.

I think it unlikely that SA2000 is a lower standard than SA95. And I think that for car based motorsports a Snell (or equivalent) car certification is better than the BS-6658 bike based certification. For example there's mention on the Snell site of testing for rollbar impacts.

Paul

Fire retardant lining (Type A/FR Helmet) or balaclava is not required for sprints and hillclimbs unless you enter the international arena. Not sure on track days though as I've never done one, but circuit racing is also as described above.

Boils down to your own peace of mind, I guess

SteveP