Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Getting the rear view mirror to stick on the screen ???

oldbutnotslow

This is really stupid

😳 😳 😳

YBNS rear view mirror wont stay fixed

We have tried replacement pads from the local accessory shop to heavy duty double sided tape and even a mixture of silicone sealant and a sticky pad all to no avail.

Yes we have cleaned the windscreen with alcohol first and yes it was dry when we put it on.

The mirror is not the original and has a plastic stem to the body of the mirror and looks like a Summit as sold in Halfords.

The plastic stem allows the mirror to vibrate unlike the original one on my car that had a metal stem and that did not vibrate that is until I broke it. 🙆🏻

Short of screwing it through the glass how on earth do you stop the mirror from falling off?

PS does anyone know what car the original mirror is from?

Grant Taylor - OBNS Motorsport

😬 1.6K with 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

• Support Team

I've always found the Halfords sticky pads work well. As you have done, get the surface of the screen absolutely clean (I use a "glasscutter" product from Halfords) and the mirror mounting surface as well. Then warm the screen up with a hairdryer before applying the sticky pad.

I knocked mine off a few weeks ago (cracking the screen ☹️) and have been using a suction mounted one temporarily - seems to stay attached.

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

I gave up on sticky pads. In the end I cleaned the screen, finishing with alcohol. I then cleaned the original (diecast ally) mirror to bare metal, then scored it with a file. More alcohol.

Apply 1 drop of glassbond to the mirror and stick it in place. *eek* how expensive?

Using wooden pads both sides, G clamp the mirror to the screen. (careful...)

Tiptoe out and come back the next day.

When you used a sticky pad, assume it is coming unstuck from the glass, rather than from the mirror base ? I have had good experience of Halfords sticky pads (has to be proper mirror-fixing type = wafer thin, not just a sponge type double sided sticky, which allows it to waggle, and hence fall off) when cleaning base and screen with meths, and warming both components. NB: I recall that the green side of the sticky pad is the side to stick to the glass !!

7 related photos

Well thats what we were thinking but given that the Police have already had a chat to him all be it that he was parked nad had done nothing wrong and the Policeman was simply 'admiring his car' but Matt did hear the other Policeman on the radio ask for a computer check we think it better that it is fitted.

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip'. *wavey* YBNS VX Classic. 😬

Stu is right - try this : here

IMHO the sticky pads are useless and let the mirror vibrate - this stuff will bond it tight to the screen and reduce wobbling.

Easy to apply, you just hold it for a couple of minutes then leave it half an hour or so to fully set. You may struggle to get it off if you need to. 😳

Edited by - Gavin H on 22 Nov 2007 13:16:33

Hi Mark I agree it does look nice. He keeps 'borrowing bits from my car on the basis that mine is a track car so why do I need headlights etc!

Matt spent ages on the paint and other bits. We seem to have been working on it ever since we got it. We must have spent another £1k on things like tyres, getting the car set up on a RR and have obviously serviced the car. We have replaced all the suspension bushes and spent yesterday afternoon with the seats out sealing up the joints with a mastic gun in an effort to stop the water leaks.

Gavin / Stu that looks like the answer!!!!

Thanks

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip'. *wavey* YBNS VX Classic. 😬

I second Hazzer

I don't think the centre rear view mirror is a legal requirement. Unless anyone can say otherwise?

I don't use mine, even in a tintop. Many miles driving with trailers, fully loaded estate cars, vans without back windows and Caterham without centre mirror have got me out of the habit of looking to the centre mirror then having to look again at the side mirrors. I find my "mirror awareness" and blindspot "lifesaver" checks are better tuned as a result.

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

A few years back I had trouble getting my plastic stemmed mirror to stick to the windscreen using pads - in the end I worked out that the problem was that the face of the mirror base was not perfectly flat. I ended up sanding it down flat using a sander and I have not had a problem since.

For those who may be interested, I have a roll of self adhesive pads (100's) that triplex use to use to fit mounting bosses to their screens I used one to re-fit the rear view mirror when I purchased by caterham and the mirror was hanging off - it has been on year now (6000 miles) and still firmley in place - if anyone wants a couple then simply send me stamped self addressed envelope.

The lead dog always gets the best view.