Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Academy build - front suspension question

dnesdlrow

Hi,

Just a quick question. Actually this is my 1st post here! Just got my Academy kit (oh my God what have I done *wink*) and after the initial shock things have gone quite well. Only thing I'd like to know is, when you put the front suspension arms on the assembly guide says to make sure they're horizontal...exactly or roughly?

Also when you then put the spring/shock absorber in do you have to adjust it's length so that the suspension arms remain horiztonal and parallel??

Thanks

Don.

roughly. Once assembled you will and running you will need to set up the car anyway. You will find that the springs will sag very sligthly after 500miles, so you will need to redo ride height at that point. So you dont need to worry too much about heights until the car is fully assembled and on the ground.

Thats what I did with my academy car.

As Hugh says. Remember that you don't actually torque up the suspension until the car is on its wheels with the engine in. This is done so that the bushes are 'locked' in the neutral position and there isn't any preload in the suspension.

If you get the ride height/corner weights set (as Hugh says, try to get a few miles in before you do this) then it is best to loosen off and re-torque the suspension at this point as well.

Charles

---

My SuperGraduates 2006 diary

My SuperGraduates 2005 diary, My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Thanks Guys,

I thought it made more sense to torque everything up with the weight on the wheels. But I presume it says in the manual to do it before the engine is in because of access problems. Those hex key bolts in the top suspension arm are a nightmare without the engine in! Apparently they used to be regular bolts.

I'm sure there'll be more questions *smile*

Edited by - don777 on 20 Nov 2007 21:49:09

Edited by - don777 on 20 Nov 2007 21:49:42