Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Air filters: Foam vs KN

Ralph Morgan

May I ask why you need to replace the K and N filters,

do you know that the K and N filter cleaning kit works very well and they would look and work like new and only cost £9.99. I sell these kits and have used them myself with great results, if you do buy a kit and there are two types, get the kit with the bottle of filter oil rather than the aerosol style as this gives you more and better control. part no 99-5050. When I took delivery of my 7 the filters were full of insects and gunge and had never been cleaned but now look like new and I had to re set my carbs because of the big increase in air flow.

The general concensus is that there is virtually no loss with the K&N's and that upgrade to foam is for aesthetic purposes - which is fair enough.

The K&N cleaner works very well (you need the special oil too) Mine are still working well after 10 years...

I have seen things written that suggest that the metal cover plate on a K+N helps to set up some kind of resonance/pulse effect that actually helps the air into the trumpet. I would not make such a claim myself and have no idea if this is true but I have definitely seen it claimed somewhere at some point in the past. Anyone else heard this?

Anthony