Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

dry sump pipe to bellhousing problem

henry21p

On a 21, there is a chassis rail that passes within 24mm (narrowest) of the threaded hole in the bellhousing for the dry sump pipe attachment.

Adam has suggested a giant "banjo" for which he's supplying a diagram

Jack's dry sump has that chassis rail moved, but can't really do that now...

Don't want to go to a remote tank type.

Anyone here an expert in these things as to how to take a pipe off there with a return of less than 24mm from the bellhousing?

IMO it'll have to be bespoke . . . there is no space for an aeroquip type fitting. Only way I can see of doing it is removing the fitting that goes into the tank (i.e. what the normal hose bolts to, with the filter gauze on the end) and making up a long banjo bolt that matches the existing tank fitting, with it's own gauze filter. Hastle, yes; but probably only a couple of hours work for a skilled machinist.

Dave - as I said, find out what size the standard pipe is (not sure myself *confused* - mebee -12, -14, or 5/8"). Then find out how wide the banjo fitting pipe fitting is that goes on an oil pipe of this size. If you can get one that's 15mm or so, you're in business. Otherwise, you'll need a bespoke one of them as well. And don't forget to send me a pickie of the bit you have - I'll then draw what you need made.

To put the problem into words...

in the bottom of the dry sump bellhousing is a pickup "tube" with a filter on the end that fits into a threaded hole in the base of the bellhousing.

The head of this tube is also threaded and with it in place, including the depth of the spannerable collar, the end of the thread rests against a chassis rail.

So, if you fit the 90 degree bend end of the braided hose on there, the nut itself is longer than the available space, let alone the 90 degree bend pipe....

So - banjo might work if i can get one mahousive enough and be comfortable that the inner diameter is sufficient to maintain the right amount of flow.

• Leadership Team

Ahhh, forgot about the pick-up gauze *redface* If you can find a banjo connection with a big enough bore, could the gauze be fitted in an in-line arrangement further along the pipe? Maybe some kind of filter-box arrangement?

Stu.

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬