Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting S Type Seats

alan c

I am fitting S type seats into a 93 car and I have the plates that reinforce the floor. How are these fitted?

I am fairly sure they go below the floor.

Do I bolt them into position using the holes through the floor/Chasis where the old seat rails went and then drill through to match the base of the seats or do something different?

The plates have bolts holes drilled to match the seats so somehow I need to line these up with the seats. There are also about 20 small holes for rivets in each plate as well which I can add in later once its all bolted in situ.

This should all be simple but there seems lots of scope to get it all in the wrong place.

Alan

• Area Representative

Alan,

I would do a trial fit of the S type seats and runners in the car to find out where the new holes are to go. It might be a good idea to have a look at someone else's car to take at least one measurement to get a reference / starting point. When you have identified the new 4 holes, use these to bolt the bracing strips undeneath the car and then drill the rivet holes to fix them securely to the floor.

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Nick,

Thanks, I have more or less worked out where the seats need to go so I think I will put them in and drill holes through the floor to line up with the holes in the runners and then bolt it all up with no seat. Then when the plate is fixed in situ I will drill the other holes and fix the plate, then undo first bolts and repalce this time with the seat in situ.

The old seat rails pick up off strong points on the chasis so I really want to get bolts through these point and into the plates if I can line it all up then it will be fixed.

As ever what should be simple is not!

All of this occurs after you get the old seats out of course - the bolts behind the seat require all the extensions in my socket sets to reach!

Alan

• Area Representative

Alan

LADS top tip *idea*:-

It's difficult to get spanners onto hex head bolts to secure the runners to the floor, so use cap head or dome head bolts which use an allen key instead. *thumbup*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Paul - thanks for the tip, thats what I used on the last car and how these seats will get fixed back in, just had to get the hex bolts out of the existing seats. One seat is out I will tackle the other one once I get one new seat back in. The garage is already a bit full with a car and three seats!

John - will definately be crawling under a few cars over the next week or so but I think I have worked out how to do this now. I will need to drill the rivet holes from underneath but I have a plan for that 😬 I intend to raid the marketing dept and borrow one of the drills that works at right angles. Thats the benefit of working for a company that makes power tools, rivets etc etc

Alan