Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow wanted

fast_cat

I have a broken 1600 Xflow - holes in crank case and sump, and a very broken piston..

so...

Anyone got a complete xflow for sale ?

or...

anyone got a Xflow short motor for sale ?

or....

should I put a Zetec in it ?

PS...

The broken engine has been removed and stripped (might be some Xflow bits available)...

Final question.....

Unlikely ....but any offers for a 1993 live axle Caterham - minus engine...

thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

Well...yes I may have the ideal bits for you...my bottom end could be available...the head went earlier in the year - we finally discovered why the engine had been missing! (there was a crack in the head) and I have subsequently replaced the complete unit with a k series and 6 speed box etc...(not particularly easy or cheap to do with alive axle ...but very rewarding when done!)

The xflow had been rebuilt in the winter so the crank and rods are all OK... it's a 1700 by the way...with forged pistons (new bearings / rings)

I have everything from the radiator through the engine, carbs (twin 40s), gearbox 4spd sc cr, balanced lightened flywheel, racing clutch, dry sump, 4:1 exhaust to the prop

if you're interested then email me: steveday@directselect.com ...I'll pull a complete list together

alternatively, how much do you want for your rolling chassis less engine?...

Just a small point...

I assume a 'Sprint' head for a 1600 X flow would fit on a 1700 X flow

block ?

In fact can someone confirm what mods are made to a 'standard' 1600 X-flow to bring it up to the 1600 'Sprint' spec ?

As far as I know, it has a modified camshaft and a modifed cylinder head - is this so ?

cheers

Rob

SPRINT:A2 cam,gas flowed head,lucas electronic ignition,balanced assembly.110bhp.

SUPERSPRINT:Kent 234 cam,block bored to 1698

compression ratio 10.5:1,big valve gas flowed

head,balanced assembly.135bhp.The 1600 head will fit but you really need the 1700 to match the rest of the engine upgrades.Don't

forget the carbs will need jetting to suit.

Happy Tinkering

C7 POW.

• 2 weeks later...

The car was built in about 93 (not by me) and was bought last year when it had done less than 1000 miles. It has now done about 2k. So apart from the engine the rest of the car is excellent condition.. Its got flared arches, BRG, leather seats, heater, full weather.

First option is still to get an engine, but then again if I can sell the car for a good price as it is , then I'll use the cash to buy another Caterham.

I would be looking at £8K

Rob

It sounds interesting Rob. I have couple more questions if you don't mind. 4 or 5 speed box, any accident damage, and where is the car? If you read my profile you know I'm in the US and would be shipping the car home, engine out is ideal. My banger TR3 needs a play-mate, can you scan pics?

Cheers from the Colonies!

Michael

• 1 month later...

Hi Rob:

I'm working up details for my UK trip (Nov 2-8). Is your car up for sale? If so please email me as I will be looking to view a car, exchange for cash, and ship as rapidly as possible. I would like to spend the balance of my trip wanderng your country (word has it your ales and bitters are quite fine).

Cheers!

Michael