Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Man in horror brake light mystery plunge!!

Ade Ray

OK... so there was no plunge, but there was plenty of horror when I got a call from my wife saying that she had followed me to work and I had driven the whole way without brake lights. The mystery is trying to find out what is wrong with them.

Both lights are not working so I.....

Checked the bulbs - all OK

Checked the fuses - all OK

Checked the flasher units (you can tell I'm desperate at this point) - all OK

Any ideas ast to the culprit??

I would apreciate any suggestions although I dont think it was Colonel Mustard in the dining room with the candlestick.

Ade Ray 'Brakeless & Clueless'

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

1. check reversing light - if it works then its not the fuse (they are on the same one)

2. Take off pedal box cover and attack the switch (its a white round thing with a black box on the end held on with 2 nuts), depress the brake pedal and check its returning properly, if its not wiggle it about until it does, then ring caterham and oreder a new one - theyre about 6 quid and come from a talbot horizon. - see thread earlier today brake problem, could also be dirt on the connectors inside, split switch with a screwdriver and clean.

I had exactly the same problem 2 weeks ago - it was the switch - spring return bit. bet I'm right, honestly, tell you what well put a fiver on it, no make it 10, sod it then 50 pence..

Buda - going to be richer by 50p very soon. teeth.gif

PS by the way are you that untrustworthy that the missus follows you to work?

Edited by - buda on 8 May 2002 17:20:56

Edited by - buda on 8 May 2002 17:22:06

Oh yeah,

the back right hand philips screw (when you look at it side on) on a K series pedal box is obstructed by a big black engine thing - its a bugger to get at my stubby screwdriver was too big, used a screwdriver bit and a pair of mole grips eventually, moral is don't tighten it up until your sure its fixed/replaced (oh if you look in the following cars headlights for brake light reflections too often you go quite mad,- paranoia thats what its called).

Buda - going to be richer by 50p, and self confessed expert on brake light switches.

Edited by - buda on 8 May 2002 17:30:55

Hi Buda

Thanks for the info, I'm mad enough to take your 50p bet. I'll let you know if you have won later.

My wife and I both live in Rugby but work in Leamington Spa. In the mornings we follow each other to work at a pace to match her Daewoo Matiz (I'm suprised they didnt have a stand at Stonleigh). This way my wife knows that I at least reached work safely, though I have the rest of the day to have an accident!

Ade teeth.gif

Buda

Your flooding me with info here or is this what they call spreading your bet? What happens if your wrong? Do you give me 50p, I think it should be your car...as compensation for misleading me!

I was also forgetting my manners...Thanks Geoff, if you are right I will give you Buda's 50p.

Ade smile.gif

• Leadership Team

I had exactly the same problem this weekend. Just pull the two spade connectors off of the switch, and touch them together to complete the circuit. If the brake lights come on (make sure that the ignition is on) then the problem is the switch. If it doesn't, then it's probably a dodgy earth. For me, it was a dead switch, which was a bugger, because I originally had the hydraulic sensor, and changed to the switch because it was supposed to be more reliable!

Regards - Michael.

Hydraulic sensor?

I was just getting my head around a regular switch when someone comes along and says 'hydraulic sensor'. Now I've got a headache again!!

Ade

Some Caterham's have a switch activated by the motion of the brake pedal, others have a switch operated by brake line pressure.

Perhaps it's as simple as all those with the enclosed pedal box have the mechanically operated one, and those with the old style pedals have the hydraulic.

Anyway it's pretty obvious when examined.

The mechanical switch may simply have gone out of adjustment, or on your journey this morning you may never have actually braked hard enough to trigger the hydraulic one.

Paul

Come on then - give us yer munny - I know I'm right. Youve had ample time to check it....

Seriously though, even when I thought I'd fixed mine I hadn't it kept reoccuring, thats where the new switch came in.

By the way the bets off if its not a mechanical switch!

you can bend the piece of mtal that activates the switch although whether it's possible by using the pedal is debateable. Before replacing the switch just check that it doesn't just need 'a bit more bend' on the pedal to activate it (i.e. a bit moe switch travel).

Nigel Mills - 2.0 Zetec carbs

ahhh - but it works on release of the bit of metal, and if the switch isnt aligning properly and the spring is getting fouled then this won't make any difference - I tried something similar, firstly by using the nuts to give the switch the maximum amount of travel (its current setting with new switch) and then secondly by sticking on some blue tack to (a) try and further the available travel and (b) to help pull the switch out on release - option (b) worked breifly then the blue tack fell off.

Ok.....the results are in.....

It was indeed the switch, by a nose. The switch itself was OK but the twin positioning nuts had come loose and the switch was out of position. I duly adjusted and then I have applied a blob of silicon on either side on the basis that it will probably be enough to stop any movement of the nuts but will be easy to peel off if adjustment is required.

The most difficult thing was getting the cover off. The previous owner had done is best to remove the cross cuts from the top of the bolts and I had to drill two out. The threads if the pedal box are ok, I just need two replacement bolts.

Buda takes the money on the line!

Oh....five ran

Many thanks for all advice...another victory for blat-chat (and Buda)

Ade 'no longer clueless & brakeless'

teeth.gif

It happened to Jam Mad & now it's happening to you!

I warned ya, but yer did na listen.

He moves in mysterious ways, but god prefers Clamshells and won't have anything said against them!

Good luck with the chase-the-wiring-gremlin problem.