Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Removing alternator

Lotus Boy

Hello,

Bit cheeky as I haven't gone and had a proper look yet but I have to remove the alty tomorrow from the 7 - a 1994 VX2.0 HPC.

Is it quite straightforward and are there any tips, tricks I should know about to get it out?

The chassis has the removable engine bay chassis rail if that helps.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 10 Feb 2008 15:48:55

On a Vx it's relatively easy as the engine is upright. Last one I saw being removed took 20 minutes.

On a K the engine is canted over to the exhaust side & the exhaust headers get in the way. Plus the plumbing for the front mounted Apollo or dry sump tank means it's easier to remove the headers 1st.

Dead easy. Remove bolt that slides in mounting strap, slacken long bolt underneath, slide alternator toward block, remove belt. Remove underneath long bolt.

When you put it back, tension the belt with a hammer shaft between the alternator and block. It's vital that the alternator pulley is pefectly aligned with the crank pulley and that all the alternator mounting strap is 'square' with everything else......if not you'll lose the belt, anf it it's dry-sumped it'll take the scav. pump belt out as well *eek*

Paul;

• 2 months later...

Numpty question - how does the electrical pin plug come off the back? Does it just pull off or is there a clip you have to free to release it?

Just don't want to pull on it too hard and break something.

Thanks

Dave

Edited by - Lotus Boy on 10 Feb 2008 14:34:51