Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon CR500 Tyres - running them in ?

SLR69

I am about to fit a a pair of new CR500 on the rear and then do a trackday immediately after.

I gather new tyres have a compound on the outside of the tyres that has to wear off over a few hundred miles before the tyres are at their best.

Anyone know how many miles you have to do to wear this compound off as I am only going to have time to do about 30 miles prior to the trackday and I am just wondering if the tyres will therefore lack grip.

Or would a couple of standing starts have the same effect of burning off the compound ?

I use new tyres all the time on track-it only takes a couple of laps to get rid of the release agent so I wouldn't worry. Try not to overheat new tyres too quickly though-it's a lot better to progressively load them up IMO

MikeW

Mega Grad Race No 8

Dudlow, I got mine from CC.

FTH, it's not just bike tyres but slicks as well. I remember doing a hillclimb two years ago and forgot on my first run that I hadn't scrubbed the tyres in and they let go on the very last bend and fastest bend of the hill and I spun out of control over the line backwards and up a bank - and that was in a Subaru Impreza with 4wd - all because the tyres were new and not scrubbed in - and in the process I also broke my PB on the hill !

CC were the cheapest when I bought a pair. The CC price inc VAT was the same as the BMTR price without VAT I recall.

Dudlow - Paul Stapley will fit tyres to rims (and balance) at your home if you want. If you can't get to CC Dartford to collect tyres, let me know, as I can usually get there Sat am (or maybe even one day during the week if necessary).

7 related photos

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 17 Nov 2007 23:46:14