Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Six-speed/sweet spot

Glen

Prompted by the direction that the 1.6 Supersport topic has taken - I'd recommend the six-speed box to anyone who can afford it, whatever the engine or state of tune...

Although it was of course originally devised to improve the driveability of peaky engines, to keep them always on the boil, the ratios are so fabulously close that it enables you to keep the engine within any rev range you like. I find that, during my normal B-road driving, big revs are simply unecessary and don't really result in faster progress as such. What does give great results, both in terms of speed and driving enjoyment, is to use the engine right in the sweet feeling rev-range between 3,500 and 5,000 revs. So it actually enables short-shifting too.

I went for a standard tune 1.8K with a six-speed for this reason. At some point I will almost certainly go for some engine modifications for more power, but for most day-to-day driving modest revving gets me there just as quick and draws a lot less attention.

Supersport tune is £1000 extra, six-speed is £1500 extra - I can live without the top-end power for a while but the 'box is a joy to use at all times, even shuffling along stuck behind slower traffic. It's the focus of my enjoyment in my car, and I'm delighted with the choice. But I would say that wouldn't I?

It is nice to hear someone saying something good about the Super Sport. I have ordered a 1600 Superlight - which has the 6spd box - and all I heard since is how c**p some people think the Superlight is.

Atleast one person agrees with me - hurrah!

I hope so - I really fancied the R500 but it just seemed a bit to raw.

I really liked the superlight from day 1 - got to drive them at Silverstone and Donnington Park a year or so ago. They really impresed me thus I ended up ordering one.

Where do you drive yours? I al lucky as I live in Manchester (or maybe not so lucky eh) as I have the Pennines on my doorstep. Snake Pass, Butter Tubbs Pass, Cat and Fiddle and Buxton all to play with - and Oulton Park on my doorstep.(well not quite but you get the idea) I am really looking forward to getting it - FYI I am building a web site with pics etc on it. X777CAT.COM. Should be up and running soon.

Cheers. Simon.

X777CAT