Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR260 Rev limit

dudlow

Thanks RWHomer.

After a good blat today, I am discovering that the 260 has got an amazing engine, it pulls like a train at any revs, but press on from 5-6k and its mental. I am used to many years of top sports bikes and Porche/Ferrari type cars, but this is so raw and aggresive in the power delivery its like nothing I have driven before. The back end was coming out around not too fast bends, but I am putting that down to 4 degrees C and rear tyres that have seen better days (Avons). Am I best sticking with the Avons,

or are there much better tyres out there, am I best sticking with Caterhams recomended 24fr and23lb rear ? Which oil is best, as I think it may be prudent to do an oil/filter change as the car has been doing nothing for 12 months.

Roll on the spring, I just love this car !!

Hi Mr Dudlow,

Caterham obvious recommend their own motorsport and having it serviced by them they only use their products. Tyre grip only from my own experience and style of driving is better at around 20psi front and rear, smooth cold road at low temps has relaxed my 🙆🏻 on several occasions

If in doubt flat out !

5w50 is what is reccomended by CC and Cosworth.

Available from CC, Halfords, your local comma agent etc etc.

Oil filter is :

I have just check the box of a new filter CC midlands supplied me

UFI 23 118 00

Cross Ref list printed on Box shows

FIAAM FT4763

FRAM PH2874

MANN and HUMMEL W77

PUROLATOR PC603

TECHNOCAR R15

info tacken from here

D J 😶‍🌫️ (and neat little K dig too. hehe *wink*

Errr... this posting is not a joke.[serious smiley]

Engine management rev limit is set to 7700rpm. here is a very useful info source (also for k *thumbup* 😬 *thumbup*)

Some type of ecu controlled fuel injection cut-off will be applied which acts across the various injectors in sequence to give a softish cut. (good ol'fashioned ignition cut no good as it can allow unburned fuel down exhaust into cats)

Mechanical rev limit (which could possibly be important if one is in the habit of downshifting at excessive roadspeed for the gear....???? Dunno????

Maybe one of the tuning experts or a EuroCup racer would have information on this. I would hope the unit would be robust to at least 8250rpm if the engine management allows powered revving to 7700. What lets go first? Rods/pistons/valve gear????

AVONs.....

The CR500 is an exceptionally good tyre but as with any subjective aspect of car grip/handling this is a subjective point and there have been many debates about this previously.

What I can confirm from speaking with an AVON motorsports division engineer is that the rubber compound does not really get out of bed until ambients of over 10 deg C. On these cold mornings we're having, the CR500 is soundly snoring with pyjamas and nightcap on. Worth exercising great caution in these winter months.

Also the rubber compound is about dead after two years. This is not too much of an issue as they only last 3-6000 miles. But beware the very low mileage "garage preserved" 7 still sitting on original tyres at 4 years old 🙅🏻‍♂️ Will be distinctly skittish *eek*, especially in the wet.

......end serious post. *tongue*

6SpeedManual *smokin*

*tongue*There's no such thing as too much BHP per Ton 😬

Nothing much you can do about mechanical overrevving on downchange apart from having a computer controlled transmission. But I can't imagine an occasional blip well over this mattering. Certainly I had a rev limit of over 8300 for a couple of years with similar top end/rods/pistons - but also a steel crank for safety (which the CSR260 doesn't have). Anyway, just enjoy! The CR500 is probably the best compromise road tyre, and with that much power and weight it's always going to wheel spin at some point, especially when this cold...

Really usefull info, thanks very much.

I will also make extra sure about checking the oil level very regularly after reading Markie1's post, it would seem to be critical . Presumably if it spits into the overflow tank its not a problem.