Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Gearing - What does a 1.6 SL pull per thou in 6th ?

JamieK

Cheers Arnie,

Gear Calc is now saved and will be getting some serious hammer in the coming weeks.

There's quite a difference running the 6 speed through the SL 3.62 compared to the 3.92 diff.

I'm now swinging away from 1.6SS and back to 1.6SL.

Jamie

i did a 4year physics degree. i like throwing it at cars and seeing what happens :)

eg the difference between brand new and bald tyres is 1kg per tyre. since its at the edge of the tyre the rotational effect is worth nearly a tenth of a second to 60. far more interesting than massless elephants on frictionless surfaces pulled by a light inextensible string! :)

also a big heavy flywheel compared to a light one can make several tenths if you work it out.

no doubt someone will ask something i can theorise about again and i'll bite! :)

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

"also a big heavy flywheel compared to a light one can make several tenths if you work it out."

Not true. A large flywheel requires more energy to overcome the latency its mass.

I would also be surprised if the wear range of a tyre contributes very significantly to the tyres weight - on a light tyre like an ACB10 1kg is over 20%!

On a steel belted radial, most of the weight is in the steel belts.

Fat Arn

Visit the K2 RUM siteid=red>

See the Lotus Seven Club 4 Counties Area Website hereid=green>

>>"also a big heavy flywheel compared to a light one can make several tenths if you work it out."

>Not true. A large flywheel requires more energy to overcome the latency its mass.

thats what i meant. it makes several tenths difference. a heavy flywheel being slower than a fast.

>I would also be surprised if the wear range of a tyre contributes very significantly to the tyres weight - on a light tyre like an ACB10 1kg is over 20%!

thats the whole point of what i'm saying! don't say i don't think or similar: work it out, measure it etc.

eg work out the mass of the rubber worn away: a block of rubber thats 5mm thick, by 185mm wide, by 1735mm long. the density of rubber is not much more than water so call it 1000:

0.005x0.185x1.735x1000 = 1.6 kg.

try it - weight a worn out tyre and a brand new one on some decent scales....

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net