Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Days

Stansfod

I sold my last Caterham a few years ago and am thinking of buying another.

Does the Lotus Seven Club still organise track days and if so what are the minimum safety requirements in terms of roll bars, cut off switches etc?

Also what about noise levels? I am thinking of a 1600cc ford cross flow or 1.4 or 1.6 K series.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Stan

there are so many track daycompanies around i wouldn't worry about it from that point of view. OTOH i wouldn't drivr a seven without at least an fia bar and shiver at the site of tall ppl with a normal bar sitting 3 inches above it...

look at the fia bar thread...

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Most track day operators don't seem to give a monkey's about the height of the roll bar.

Have a look at the car in the background of this picture - here

Miraz

Edited by - Miraz on 7 May 2002 22:56:25

Miraz

The driver in the foreground isn't protected either. Check the roll line from top of bar to top of engine block. Then get 50 mm clearance below that to allow for hanging in belts. The foreground driver would be bouncing his helmet along the black stuff, with appropriate effect on his neck.

The ones in the background might just as well take the bar off.

The driver in the foreground is me!

After seeing the pictures, I've moved my seating position in order to improve the clearance on the bar and I've been thinking about fitting a full cage. The seat is now further back, and is reclined a little further to get my head down into the car - I had to adjust the pedals and steering column to make it work, but it now feels much better.

The pictures also showed quite how badly coil bound I was getting on the front suspension, so that has been changed too.

The revised setup - here - is better, but I'm still not 100% happy with it yet. Both pictures are taken in similar corners, it's obvious how much flatter the car is with the new setup.

Miraz

Edited by - Miraz on 8 May 2002 14:28:42