Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Bigger wheels

Dave B

OK, I have had no luck finding any 15" anthracites but have noticed some HPC 16" on ebay. Can anyone advise any handling problems going to 16". Car is 1989 Xflow 165bhp 5 speed(BGH) conversion, Dedion and LSD. I really only need ground clearance as I am emigrating to a house with very steep drive.

DaveB

Would some civil engineering works on the drive produce more benefit ? We used to live in a house with a drive downwards at a crazy angle. We had to knock the top surface off the centre of the concrete at the transition from the pavement to the drive, and build up the level of the ramps where the wheels ran (just at the top of the slope), to effectively 'widen the pavement', and ease the transition on to the slope.

7 related photos

The top of the drive will be modded as you suggest, however the big problem is at the bottom as the drive goes straight onto the road so no mods can be done there. I had a hire car in June when last visiting and almost ripped the front apron off it is soooooo steep. I have taken all appropriate measurements of the caterham and an engineer is going to take a look for me next week. But the big wheels look so good I thought.

DaveB

Dave

I don't think going to 16" wheels will help much as they use a 45 profile tyre, I would guess the 15" wheels use a higher profile tyre so the overall diameter won't be much difference. The perceived wisdom is that small wheels are better. I have the HPC wheels and can tell you they do 'tramline' quite a lot with the 205 tyres. Also with such a small sidewall there's very little 'give' which can cause a jarring ride sometimes and sometimes a lack of 'feel'. Unlike a taller tyre that will flex a bit under a load, these don't as much so the grip can be there one moment, then gone quite quickly 😬

VX HPC - Loud and proud here

Watch out, whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly

Why not get some adjustable platforms and raise the ride height at the front - you may have to jiggle around a bit and balance by lifting the rear, but you should be able to gain a little bit without too much handling sacrifice...

Carry a c-spanner and it would also give you the otption of winding things down if you needed to, for a track day for example....probably too much hassle for every drive out, but for a longer trip...

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car

Edited by - angus&tessa on 9 Nov 2007 15:10:50

I found the big tyres run quite cool, too cool really. Sometimes you'd lose the back end at local roundabouts because the tyres were stone cold. Swapping to 13" wheels loses ride height but makes the car more chuckable and improves the ride. The tyres also become about the half the cost but the small wheels are harder to clean

Assuming your car is at the standard ride height and rake now, fit 185/70x13 tyres,this gives maximum sidewall height amongst standard CC tyre options, see if this gives enough clearance; if not, raise the front ride height in small increments until the car just gets over the bump and then restore the rake by adjusting the rear.

MY BLAT-O-METER

2007: 68 (to 19th October. This year's attempt on 100 blats now scuppered by operation)

2006: 89

2005: 91

2004: 64

2003: 66

2002: 66

2001: 79

2000: 32 (divorce!)

1999: NRA