Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tech Forum - Topics for Discussion

Mark Durrant

All

After last year I do not propose we make many changes to the regs as they need to settle down however, I have the following on the agenda and if you want to add anything please post here but I would ask you make it constructive. I will not have access to Blatchat after 6pm tomorrow and as ever those present at the forum on Sunday will be responsible for approving any changes.

Topics for discussion:

Tyre warming - Following Loton Park I think we need to specify that forward momentum must be obtained and tyre warming should not last more than 5 seconds.

Noise re Goodwood - The noise limit is 101dB static at 3/4 max revs and 105dB driveby.

Removal of TB restriction for classes 2 & 3. This is because people who have upgraded their engines from a 1.4 to 1.8 have to use the 1.4 T/B that is 57mm. I checked with a K Series expert who has advised that the plenum chamber/fixed map means that any benefit over a 52mm is minimal.

Removal of tyre size restriction for class 5 or increase to 235mm. A few people have suggested the restriction lifted as the 175/215 tyre footprint is limiting for the higher powered cars but to retain this clause in other classes where we need to keep the costs down. This will enable people to run comparable sizes as they used to with ACB10's.

Clarification re number of rounds to qualify for a class award as no one in class 6 competed in 7 events this year.

Points scoring for next season and new events. I think the 100% system adopted this year has worked well. For next year we can either use the class records for this year to set a bogey time or award additional points say up to a maximum of 5% for anyone who breaks a class record.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Re Class 1 regs - I think it should be stated that any standard (115/120 bhp) 1.6 K Series is eligible rather than the current statement that Supergraduate cars are eligible. By my reading of the 2007 regs Neil Fraser, for instance, should be in class 2 as his car would not be eligible for Supergrads even though he, quite rightly based on his car's performance, competed in Class 1. Perhaps a restriction on 5 speed should be included as it is for the 125 Sigmas.

It's just a minor clarification but might make things clearer.

Nothing personal Neil *wavey*

• Area Representative
Does anyone have a small, mini or even large camera tripod they could bring to the awards so that we can set up a video camera to tape the event. I have the camera!

Simon,

Yes, I have a a fairly solid tripod. I'll bring it with me.

Ok

here goes

class 2/3 if increased TB to 57mm do the plenum's stay the same? Can a vvc/x power one be put on a 1.6ss? Is the metel 1.4 supersport plenum allowed on any engine?

class 4: should fireblade be in this class?

Class 5: tyre size not sure if this should only be for class 5, unsure of the logic here. why limit theother classes?

David

Matt

I did clarify the interpretation of the regs in my case before the season and the regs state that the car must meet the regs for (up to) supergrads rather than being an actual Supergrad etc but I do think expressly stating 115/120bhp roadsports up to SG spec would clarify and encourage more entrants without giving unfair advantages.

The up to SG spec keeps the suspension options as well as the engine very limited which is ideal for class 1

"Nothing personal" noted 😬

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

Mark

Can we have a novice +1 year trophy?

Before you all start RAOFL ,I know it sounds a bit daft but there were several notes in the "why do you not sprint" thread suggesting that people felt agrieved that they missed out on "novice" because of one or two mistimed sprints. Also concious that a lot of 2nd yearers are still learning the craft and unlikely to get to the medals in open classes which can make the 2nd year look a bit bleak?

Happy to look at funding/ sponsoring a cup if that is an issue and also happy to have a rule that if you win novice you are ineligible for novice +1.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

instead of free tyre size, why not simply go "free road legal tyre" ?

Reason :

it has been acknowledged on previous threads that the Kumhos are as quick if not quicker than the ACBA24 tyre.

Plus a lot of circuit racers and trackdayers ( most of the red group at club trackdays for instance) dont wish / cant run radial tyres on a cross ply slick setup or change the setup for each sprint. This reduces the potential number of competitors for sprints from the large potential class 5 pool at club and other trackdays.

or is it *rolleyes*

*biggrin*

Taffia rear gunner

Class 5: tyre size not sure if this should only be for class 5, unsure of the logic here. why limit theother classes?

Because limiting the tyre size will help keep costs down and encourage people to have a go.

class 4: should fireblade be in this class?

So would that be any BEC under 190BHP in class 4?

Class 4 Zetec *cool*....and suffering withdrawal symptons

Ther fireblade only has 150bhp at 11000rpm

so if blade is 400kg this would give about 375bhp/ton

a s3 7 with 190bhp at 510kg would give you 372bhp/ton

the only problem with this idea is i would like to see high powered x-flows and they would be disadvantaged.

David

Edited by - David Nelson on 9 Nov 2007 09:59:10

Much as it pains me to say then, as long as the power limit was 150BHP then class 4 is probably the best place for the fireblade despite the handling advantage. Maybe we could increase the class 4 car engined limit to 200 to compensate *tongue*

Class 4 Zetec *cool*....and suffering withdrawal symptons

Taken from MCN fireblade history-

1992: Honda CBR900RR launched.

1994: Updated Honda CBR900RR FireBlade with fox eye faired in headlights, RR logo on the tail unit, electric speedo, minor gearbox mods and more.

1996: More updates including 918.5cc engine, dual slits on each side of tail unit, power up from 122bhp to 126, weight down from 185kg to 183.

1998: New plastics, power up to 128bhp, weight down to 180kg, more comfortable too.

128bhp it is, plus dynojet kit fitted for more midrange & maybe 4-8 more bhp, after that nees cams/gas flowing etc *rolleyes*

1400cc Hayabusas to class 3 😬 only joking

I am all for limited changes, but was has been discussed above seems to make sense

I would prefer that we do not base scoring on class records this year as per a previous thread where some classes had a poor turnout this year then beating the record would be much easier...and so the overall champion has less of a meaning, maybe in 2009 it would make more sense...

Rob - oh yeah lets bring back acb10's 😬