Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Propshaft reconditioning

Drumster

Technical numpty so please bear with me here:

When the propshaft was removed during the rebuild (15 year old 58,000 mile x/flow)a couple of fellow blatchatters advised me that the UJs at either end felt a bit 'gritty' and it would probably be worth getting the propshaft UJs changed.

Seems sensible to me, so presumably I need to find a reputable place to carry this out. Can anybody recommend anywhere in the SE who can do this or failing that anywhere else in the UK?

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248.89 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*

I don't know about the South East Chris but when I had mine shortened, I sent it to:-

The Propshaft Clinic

Buck House

Buck Street

Bradford

BD3 9QP

01274-305399

A great service from them, reasonably priced and fast turnaround. *thumbup*

If you don't find anybody locally to do it, I'll CityLink it up to Bradford for you and have it returned here. I am probably seeing Cruds on Saturday so if you give it to him, I'll send it orf for you.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Edited by - Brent Chiswick on 9 Nov 2007 09:57:57

You can do these yourself Chris - change the bearings that is - you need a circlip thingy, but I'm sure someone can help you. I can't remember where I got the bearings from - possibly either Raceline or Redline??

Of course, sending it somewhere else may be better for testing I guess, checking for cracks, inbalance? etc

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car

Another *thumbup* for the propshaft clinic.

I didn't want to use my old propshaft, and this company did a full new one for about £115 delivered.

Not a bad price for a fairly safety critical item, bearing in mind it's revolving a few inches from you in a Caterham!

I've just bought two UJs from CC for 17.00, so they're not that expensive. They are, however, without a grease nipple, so presumably they'll need replaced every few years or so. Perhaps Redline or others come with a nipple?

There's details on how to do this here

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS

Yeah, the photo had a nipple; but the parts I got don't. Are there two types? The one's I got in my mail today were CC stock code QL15002.

updated to say the boxes they're supplied in was marked BM161/1, and there's only 1 part n the CC website.

Alex McDonald

A loud 1700 SS

Edited by - alextangent on 8 Nov 2007 15:00:45

Have to say, the prices quoted above (both Propshaft Clinic and CC) are cheaper than I would have guessed, bearing in mind how expensive some bits are for the 7 *thumbup*

I get a bit more vibration above 90mph than I would like, so maybe in the future I would replace the prop...

As Chris is no doubt finding out, it soon adds up on a rebuild though... *smile*

www.mycaterham.com

here

Videos

here

101,000 miles car

Stupid question time. I haven't looked under the car to check this (too late at night now !). Is there enough clear shaft between the forward UJ and the end of the gearbox to be able to slide the propshaft into the gearbox enough to drop the rear flange of the propshaft off the diff flange ? (catching the oil from the gearbox as the shaft is then withdrawn !).

7 related photos

You own an SV I believe?

Anyhow, on De dion cars you need to drop the differential out of the way and then you can remove the propshaft rearwards. The flange will not move forwards through the rear tunnel chassis members.

On live axle cars you can remove the propshaft with the axle in situ.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

2.3 DURATEC SV Reassuringly Expensive

R 417.39 😬

Thanks for all your suggestions. I've decided to get it done rather than do it myself, peace of mind etc.... I called Bailey Morris and The Propshaft Clinic and was quoted £60 and £45 respectively to replace the bearings in both UJs etc. So I'm going to be taking up Brent's kind offer *thumbup*

Chris Alston

C7CAT 1800 Supersprint

R248.89 *tongue* ....and then I jumped in *eek*