Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Ignition light glowing dimly

Lotus Boy

Noticed recently that my ign. light has been dimly glowing over the past couple of weeks - could only tell at night - and the car had been turning over slowly when starting which has now got to the point where it won't start off the battery at all, just get the clack clack clack, only a jump start from another car (or push obviously).

Won't even start if the battery has been fully charged according to the optimate. Also noticed that the ign. light glows pretty much fully if I accelerated hard or turned the main lights off.

So...I'm guessng the battery is dead (although could check the cells?) but is the alternator dead too?

Are there things I can check such as the belt tension, regulator bushes etc before shelling out cash.

Please be gentle, my hands turn into cabbages when it comes to things mechanical or electrical!

Car is an 94 HPC for what it's worth.

TIA

Dave

Dave

Sounds more like Alternator, could be a slipping belt although rare if it's not squaling and the brightening when revved suggests the belts OK and it's either failing(ed) or poor possibly connections

An exchange unit is arond £70 so not too severe, happy to sort/ fit it for you if you can get to reading area

Mark

Edited by - F355GTS on 6 Nov 2007 23:00:45

Measure the voltage across the battery terminals without the engine running and then with it running and that should tell you the general state of the battery and the charging. With engine running voltage should be about 13.8v. Much above or below and there is a problem. Also with the battery under heavy load (eg while starting) get someone to carefully look to see if any of the cells are bubbling which is a sign that the battery is on the way out.

Dead alternator. If the alty is OK and is being turned properly by the pulley/belt assembly then even a dead battery will extinguish the charge light.

I had this twice on the 7, once was a cracked brush, second was a dead regulator box. Second time around I cannibalised a brush from the dead regulator and soldered it onto the other regulator, and AFAIK it's still running on it 2 years later.

It's the carbon brushes onto the copper rotor, u can open the alternator and clean with thinner or brake clean but i no way use something abrasive like sanding paper.

It's a temporary measure in the end you will have to replace it or find someone with a lathe to work the copper rotor and then you can mount new carbon brushes.

If the commutator strips are damaged, you can dress them with really really fine emery paper, and scrape out any build-up from the gaps between the strips with a suitable point of a knife blade, being careful not to scratch the faces of the strips.

But ... if you're not into dismantling and DIY, probably best to replace the whole unit, as suggested above.

7 related photos

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Been getting some quotes for batteries today - best locally is £69+VAT - apparently the price of lead has shot up 3 times this year increasing the price of batteries.

Also I have a good local auto elec that can test and possibly repair certain alternators, so I will give that a go, otherwise I will get new as you all suggest.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Something else to check is the resistance of the wire from the alternator to the battery, if this is getting old and brittle, the conductive properties of the copper are less, so less charge to the battery, and the glowing ign light you talk of.

1982. 5 speed, clamshells. B.R.G / Ali. The True Colours.