Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Combined side and stop light bulbs

oldbutnotslow

I was following YBNS this evening in his 7 and was surprised at how poor the rear lights are.

I will check the lights out to make sure that he is getting a full 12v and that there is no resistance that may be reducing the standard 5w / 21w bulb brightness.

However I was wondering if is is possible to get a 10w/21w bulb from any source?

Grant Taylor - OBNS Motorsport

😬 1.6K with 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

Surely by closing the gap in power between read and brake lights you risk the brake lights not being so obvious to following cars and risk being rear ended whilst braking. Though of course being rear ended whilst not braking would seem to be the current problem.

How are the reflectors? If these are all tarnish/corroded then the effectiveness of the bulbs will be dim(pardon the pun)ished.

Steve.

Sussex (West) AR

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear

Yep VERY badly corroded bulb holders and bulbs. Its a wonder that it was getting 8v!

All cleaned up and greased with Holts ‘no corrode’ and suddenly we are back to them being OK.

I felt sure that everyone would know to grease the bulb holders and bulbs but seemingly not.

😬 1.6K with 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip' excitement. 😬

I recall some extensive discussions about this - I think I remember that red lamps produce more light through red lenses than white lamps ??

Steps back and waits for avalanche of opinions ....

PS: LEDs are certainly the way to go for dash instruments ! Especially the wide angle ultra-bright one in the speedo and tacho ! See recent thread.

7 related photos

• 4 weeks later...

A red lens is a filter, it lets through red spectrum light and blocks the blues and greens.

"White" leds have a high output in the blue range and are very weak in the red range thus there will be very little red light getting through, far better to have a nominally lower output red LED where 100% of the light gets through.

Remember also that the 5mm LEd is very directional, putting most of their light out the end, they are also mounted sideways in our application ie shinning sideways.

Not a great recipe

Nick

Polished up the poor reflectors, cleaned the lenses.... but Humble Pie time .... the LED 'light towers' are absolutely useless. Wouldn't even throw any light on the inside of the garage door 700mm away in the dark. The filament lamp the other side lit it up like a Christmas tree.

So - they are going back tomorrow. Shame, as the LED lamps for the dash gauges are fantastic *thumbup*

7 related photos

• 2 weeks later...

No its red and specifically formulated to inhibit electrolyte reaction that you get on batteries (the white fluffy stuff) and where there is likely to be a poor contact because of the location ie damp conditions. Its been around for years and years. My tube must be 20 + years old. Yes it is still available in Halfords.

😬 183 BHP of Black and 'Stone Chip'. *wavey* YBNS VX Classic. 😬

Edited by - oldbutnotslow on 11 Dec 2007 13:15:03