Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Oil Pressure

BillR

The majority of "oil pressure problems" can be put down to a broken sender. The other likely causes are...

... debris blocking the oil pickup

... pressure relief valve sticking open

I presume this low pressure reading is at idle and it picks up to a higher value when you add revs. I would recommend changing the sender and seeing if that fixes it. If there is any other suggestion that the oil pressure *is* very low then I'd pop the sump off and have a look.

32,000 miles on 2003 140hp SV and just fitted my 4th replacement sender, last 2 have been on CC as lasted less than year. CC say it is vibration, but not a problem on Rover?MG cars with same engine so I reckon in view of other failures with water sender, fuel guage, rev counter and speedo that is beacause Caerbont Instruments are c--p. Pressure lovely on new sender 6 when cold and 4 + when hot and 2+ on tickover hot. It won't last, all have lost pressure with age !! The moment the gauge gets the waggles it is on its way out.

Once the sender is moved, it is less prone to damage/water ingress.

Look where it is now, right out in the open.

If you moved it up inside the bonnet area, it will be much better.

Also use a small amount of sealant near the electrical connector to stop water getting in.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

I gave up on the Caterham supplied sensors in direct or remote setup (the remote lasted a little longer but not much).

Go for the Think Mech system with oil pressure switch, I decided not to fit the huge red warning lamp which is part of the kit, but fitted a high intensity led between tacho and speedo. You need to bleed the system once but after that, you have a reliable system that warns you of impending doom considerably faster than a damped gauge that you might not be looking at when it happens

Tom