Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Numpty Duratec Question.

Mickrick

Hi Ammo, Quite impressive! I have a problem getting my head around this lbs ft thing! Nearly 300 nm? That's about 70 more than a CSR 260?

Your car sounds very tractable.

I have driven a CSR 260, and to be honest, well..how can I put it, It didn't blow the backside out of my breeches. But I think the overall experience was tainted. It was a CC press hack, and the handling wasn't as nimble as my R300 either. So I wasn't impressed with the overall package in general.

I don't really have the "hots" for forced induction. I find it interesting to look at other options. To be honest, I doubt I will.

I have a brand new Arch S.V. chassis sitting in a container in U.K. which I specced for Duratec fitment. There's a big hole where the engine should be. So starting from scratch, the options are endless *wink*

When I'm ready I won't call you,

I'll come and see you *smile*

What are your thoughts on the Rotrex?

Cheers, Mick.

Brent

"And be warned, Ammo is very persuasive!" That is not true. People already sort of know what they want, they usually just need a bit of guidance nailing down the final spec. 😬

Mickrick

I've got Arrow rods in my engine. Still the best rods in my opinion.

"What do I think about the Rotrex?" Bit heavy, needs its own oil system with cooler. You need to accomodate so much stuff to make it work that you will be adding a lot of weight and complication to the car. No doubt you could end up extracting 400 bhp from a Duratec with one fitted but don't think you can go on piling the power out of an engine that produces 145 bhp in standard form without having some problems.

Simon

Someone who shall remain nameless sent me some pistons to be machined. In an Eagle connecting rod box! Said person admitted to me that they had an ordinary box to send the pistons in but knew that sending them in and Eagle rod box would wind me up.

He is living under the impression that I saw the funny side of it.

I have his crank, rods, pistons, pulley etc. 😬

AMMO

I have to agree, all the complication of fitting forced induction is getting away from the Seven philosophy of keeping it light and simple.

What do the Arrow rods weigh? I think the Carillo/Cosworth rods are 500 grams.

Which is the stonger rod, I or H section?

Eagle rods. $365. Top notch! *thumbup* *tongue*

The older I get, the faster I was!

Edited by - Mickrick on 9 Nov 2007 21:24:55

Ammo

We're just glad he sent them to you, in the past he would have sat and filed a groove in the pulley with a nail file *wink*

We are a little bit nervous about this build, he is doing what he is advised which is very out of character. At this rate he will have a fully functioning car from the day it is built.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Mickrick

Oh, oh! You really don't know what you have started do you? You are going to get an Ammo rant. Are you sitting comfortably? 😬 The rant usually start with me being reasonable and then degenerates.

This is the reasonable bit:

I don't have an exact weight for an Arrow rod but it will be in the region of 500 grams. Probably more than the Carrillo as it has more meat in it. The 2.3 rod is longer and has a bigger big end so will be heavier. I can weigh some at work.

My opinion is that the H section Arrow is stronger than the I section Carrillo. The H section Carrillo and the H section Arrow will be about the same strength. I have been using H section Carrillos in championship winning race engines since 1986 without a single failure. I have been using Arrows since the mid 90's. Again no failures. If you put an Arrow and a Carrillo H section rod next to each other you will see a difference in quality. The Arrow is superior in my opinion. It is made to a standard rather than a price.

Start to lose it a bit here:

I offer the I section Carrillo as a cheaper alternative to the Arrow. That's as cheap as it gets. I don't get involved with anything cheaper than that because I would not fit anything less than that to one of my own engines. If you were confronted with a free set of Eagle, Carrillos or Arrows, which would you grab? I would make the decision not based on price but quality. If a component is not good enough for me it is not good enough for one of my customers. At the end of the day if you can put an Arrow rod next to something from China and not see the difference you must be blind.

Full rant mode:

I build engines to the highest standards. I don't even like touching parts that I think are inferior and will never fit them to an engine. Full stop. Recently at work we are confronted with more and more cheap crap that people buy on the internet and expect to bolt together. At the end of the day you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh t.

My engines are ante-deluvian in comparison to say what my friends at AER are building. £100,000.00 engines where no compromises have been made. I have seen inside a few F1 and WSBK engines, probably get a peek in a MotoGP engine soon. They don't use Chinese rods in those! My ambition is to raise standards not to lower them.

I dare say a few people will come out of the woodwork to say how wonderful the cheap crap is. Don't care. The pros fit pro equipment.

There, got that off my chest. Feel better now :-)

Simon

Let's hope that the change is permanent and not just a passing phase!

AMMO

Guess I should pop in and comment, as the owner of said 2.3l 250bhp that refuses to upgrade I'd say you definetly need to have a ride in a car with this level of power.

With my engine there is so much torque at low revs that on the road you pretty much only need one gear, equally if you want to have some fun or scare a passenger just drop a couple of cogs and it will happily spin into the rev limiter in every gear without even trying and reach silly speeds in the process.

I suspect there are a few people out there who had passenger rides on and off track in my car that would agree that 250ishbhp is plenty of power in a se7en, tbh when I get back in the car after not driving it for a few weeks the first time I use all the revs it's still suprising after almost 3 years just how quick it is.

Having said that DannyLT's 300bhp 2.2 is very very nice 😬

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

😬 😬 😬 I was being sarcastic about the Eagle rods! (Note the *tongue*)

Ammo, When I spec my engine, I will spec the best. What it costs, is what it costs.

My friends know how anal I can be about such things. If I can't afford the best, I'll do without untill I can. That's the reason I ask so many questions, look at all the angles, then take the best option.

Otherwise I'd be building a westfield or a Dax! (Runs for cover from possible Westie or Dax owners on here!)

I enjoyed your rant though! *tongue*

Mick.

The older I get, the faster I was!