Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Carbon fiber brakes for a 7?

yankeedoodoo

I know someone had F1 brake and suspension upright technology put on a Porsche some years ago, I think by John Barnard's design team. Cost was about £10,000 per corner. Lovely investment cast titanium uprights etc. etc.

But seriously... you won't know the difference on the road and all race series will immediately find some bit of legislation to ban you and it is never really in the spirit of racing to turn up with a car setup beyond the budgets of your competitors (besides which they might still beat you).

Most significant difference will be power to weight ratio from the very very light weight wallet in your pocket.

You can use Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads on the oe steel discs which works very well.

For track use/road use you would use 97 compound which gives the best balance between life and friction.

The only downside of them is they create alot of brake dust which you have to clean off regularly.

Dave

How much lighter they would be than a Alcon set up i don't know but another problem would be the heat they generate. it is really a chain of things that needs mofify'ing even you as a driver need to modify your driving style.

Personally i think you better look at the Moto GP bike brakes rather than F1

At present I have the SLR AP big brakes. Is there a part # for the performance friction and Pagid pads? Thanks for the replies!! Sounds like better pads are the right cost.

I helped a UK gent resettle here in CA last week just cuz he owns a BEC Caterham. Nice fella, beautiful 7.