Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting additional throttle return spring

Andy G

I have a 1700 Xflow with twin DCOE Webber 40's, I have bought the Caterham supplied replacement operating lever for the forward carb and fitted the additional spring to the secondary hole in the tubular throttle cable bracket as per the Caterham Assembly Guide, however try as I might, the d*** thing keeps fouling the original spring and will not close down properly, any advice would be gratefully recieved I have already had to pull out of one sprint and don't want to miss the next.

Andy G mad.gif

I am not sure about the linkage used on the x-flow but if it is the same as the vx carb one it did the same on mine.

I changed it for the linkage from Weber (under carb linkage).

This has twin springs and twin cables if needed. It works a treat!

James

Ian, I was there acting as assistant pit crew for Tim Bradshaw's single seater Formula Atlantic, the one that blew all the fuses in the pit lane! Not my fault I assure you.

Due to heavy work load did not get time to visit other Caterhams and only saw a few races, how did you do?

Andy G

Edited by - Andy G on 7 May 2002 11:09:06

Paul,

Having had the single throttle return spring fail on me whilst proceeding down Charing Hill at "umptetump" MPH, this is not an option I would recommend or be prepared to consider. For the record the throttle stays wide open and getting your toe under the acclerator pedal and pulling it back has no effect, the only solution is to turn the ignition off with the clutch engaged making sure (in the excitement) you don't turn the ignition so far that the steering locks.

Andy G

I was assuming an essentially fit system. One you'd be happy to drive on the road.

Can the secondary spring fit on the forward end of the front carb?

I've had experience of sticking throttles on a Caterham, fitted with multiple return springs. The throttle cable was seizing.

Paul

Paul,

Was worried about the cable which was worn so I have replaced that as well. The problem seems to be there is not enough space for the 2 springs to operate without fouling each other and obviously there is no way to move the carbs further apart and there is nowhere else to fit the bottom of the spring other than the lug which holds the cable, and has 2 holes neatly predrilled for the purpose.

Incidentally the previous spring did not break it just "came out" of the bottom fixing for no apparent reason.

Andy G

Edited by - Andy G on 8 May 2002 14:26:45