Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Superlight Wanted

Simondann111s

• 2 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

What about this Superlight R on Pistonheads here that looks well with a full carbon pack and the carbon kevlar tillets. Not quite the performance of your R400 but not too bad 😬

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!

Nick,

Interesting your comments "What about this Superlight R...........................not quite the performance of your R400 but not too bad"

Caterham literature quotes:

SLR: 0-60 mph = 4 seconds and 140 mph max

R400: 0-60 mph = 3.8 seconds and 140 mph max

Autocar's road tests quote:

SLR: 0-60 mph = 3.7 seconds

R400: 0-60 mph = 4.25 seconds

Having driven my SLR and an R400 on track back to back I doubt whether anyone could tell them apart on performance. Whilst the SLR is lighter at 485 Kgs as against the R400's 525 Kgs, the SLR only has 190 bhp as against the R400's 210 bhp. In round terms that gives both of them about 400 bhp per tonne.

Both are seriously quick machines and are great fun and Simon if you can stretch yourself to the SLR on Pistonheads I am sure that you will not regret it. Having bought my SLR in September last year I wish I had bought one years ago !

Stuart

Kawasaki Green SLR No 69

Guernsey AO

SLR. Simons was a full house race prepped R400 converted for road use. It was a beauty and he spent a fortune on setting up etc. I'd guess that would be worth more than a few tenths on track in the hands of a decent track driver.

Simon good luck in your search for a replacement.

Regards

Rich

Hi Simon,

I actually owned the car you are thinking about - L7 SLR and sold it to a friend, who is now looking to sell it on.

It is a fantastic car and I regretted selling it the moment he drove it away! I now have an R500 and have had another SLR in between the two and I can honestly say the SLR is a nicer car to drive - very quick but tractable at lower speeds/revs.

This particular car is very well set-up and very progressive on the limit.

I know that it is 100% genuine, never had a new long front etc.

I have driven all sorts of Caterhams, including many trackdays in hired Superlights and an SLR is the best of the bunch in my opinion.

Even the sales guys at Caterham South have been know to say that there hasn't been a better model.

Best of luck

Simon

• Area Representative

Hi Stuart,

As Tricky Dicky has mentioned, I was commenting on the comparision with Simon's recent track prepared R400. However, I do find my R400 quicker than TC's (wife's) SLR and yet as you say, they should be identical.

The R400 figures you quote are for the latest R400C model with its 210 BHP but 525 Kg weight which gives the 400 BHP/tonne figure whereas the K series R400 is shown as 200 BHP and 490 Kgs (or even 485kg according to some journals) and this gives around 410 BHP.

As you say though, both are seriously quick cars and loads of fun *thumbup* and the blue SLR on PH looks excellent.

Nick

The BEC has gone - now onto an R400!!