Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Measure your timing struts

Mrs Kipper

Malcolm

You are not supposed to make your timing strut out of solid oak 😬, although certain people above *arrowup* like attaching large lumps of wood (often called a tree) to the front of their car 😬

Graham

Looking for a new vocation in life or is that a vacation

• 4 months later...

I have just checked the Blue Book for 2007 and 2008 and there is no change as the increased size is from 2009.

The following extract is from this years book, section Sprints, Hillclimbs and Drag Racing on page 316:

General

67. Timing Struts – Where timing is activated by a light beam, the vehicles will be fitted at the front with a vertical timing strut, minimum vertical height 254mm,

the bottom of which shall be not less than 180mm and no more than 200mm from the ground. The strut will be in matt black on both sides, over its total area, which

shall be not less than 254mm by 51mm. No other, or further forward, part of the vehicle may interrupt these dimensions or actuate the timing.

Mark D

Comp Sec *cool*

Edited by - Mark Durrant on 9 Mar 2008 18:54:22

I cut out the section in autumn's 'motorsports now' listing ratifications, 270mm strut is from 1st Jan 2009 so 254mm for this year only.

If you're going to make or buy one I'd make sure it's 270mm to save having to do it again next year.

The one I bought 5 years ago from JW is 270mm already Must have seen that one coming then 😬

Adrian