Click here if you are having website access problems ×

S1 at H&H auction

MusCat

Yes - the title says "1958/197 Lotus 7" - I think they forgot the "1" after the "197".

I have no knowledge of this car but a history such as, raced, dumped in barn, resurrected and registered for the road, would not appear that unusual.

From 7faq

Series 1:

Chassis Numbers 400-499 built at Hornsey

Chassis Numbers 750-892 built at Cheshunt

The gap in the sequence can be confusing. Numbers 500-553 were Elevens, and numbers 600-615 were Fifteens. Apparently some numbers between 750 and 892 were used for Formula Junior cars

Chassis number on auction car (JMH71) doesn't seem to match this? The 71 I would guess is the year it was made and Mr JMH probably assembled the car in 71 but it seems the original chassis number may be missing?

Edited by - Alex Wong on 30 Oct 2007 16:30:31

Quite simply, it is NOT a series one.

however they would like to dress it up, this is not what they say. You cannot re register a car and give it an identity that makes it seem YOUNGER than it really is. So in other words, if it were ever a series one, you could not possibly re register it on a newer number plate. Apart from having a different body and reg year from a series one, it could still be afun car to own though.

Mike C

No longer K9 JPE

Mike, what you say is correct, in as much that since the mid-80's that as been the rule. However before that if my memory is correct, it was possible to put a newer number on a car that had on been previously registered in this country. A few friends would import cars and they always came with current reg' numbers.

Having said all that I doubt that this is a genuine series 1, but as you say, I'm sure it would be a lot of fun owning it, at the right price.

R600 VX here

DB: You are right . . . . as a kid, my father had an R plated (1977ish) Pug 504 that was made in 1973 but lived in Gibraltar for it's first few years. One of bro's Land Rovers is also 1973 but has an X plate (Ex-Military).

Pretty much anything went back in the 1970's though and as there were next to no checks, loads of race cars would have been pensioned off and registered in what we'd now see as a bit of a dodgy manner.

I agree,things were very different back in the seventies

In 1974 I built a motorcycle special, I used a 1957 Ducati frame and a 1959 Triumph engine,

the only new parts were the wheel rims and the exhaust pipes.

It was registered as new in 74 on an N with my name as the manufacturer.

The only thing I had to do was to have a Police inspection to say it was safe to use

on the road.

Tom.

More info now.

Like many an old warhorse this Lotus Seven has quite a story to tell. Although, lacking a Lotus chassis plate, the car has the number 'P00018' stamped into one of its chassis members which may have been the work of the Progress Chassis Co (the firm responsible for supplying early Seven chassis). Sadly, any production records that Progress might have kept have disappeared so there is no way of cross-referencing the car's origins. That said, Lotus Seven Historian & Archivist John Watson identified several interesting features from photographs: "The steering arm position behind the centre line of the front wheels and the steering column travelling between the clutch and the brake pedals suggest a Series One car (September 1957 - June 1960). The mounting brackets for the master cylinders being on top of the footbox are a feature of the later Series One cars. However, it does look as though these have been re-welded at a later date". Although, there is no documentary proof that the Lotus began life as a racer, the circumstantial evidence is plentiful. As well as extra cross-bracing, the front end of the chassis sports camber-adjustable double-wishbone suspension, a lower-mounted anti-roll bar and Herald-derived disc brakes. While at the rear, the lower chassis rails are angular rather than curved in shape, the Nash Metropolitan back axle (4.55:1) is located via straight-top radius arms and the diagonal link has been substantially straightened / braced. Many of these modifications are similar to those outlined in 'Lotus Seven: A Collector's Guide' by Jeremy Coulter (and practiced by the likes of David Bettison and Reg Price). The fact that the two-seater was road registered as a rebuilt vehicle by the then custodian John Markham Hartill in 1971 (hence the 'JMH 71' chassis number) indicates that it had not long finished competing. According to John Watson, it was not unknown for drivers to keep the chassis plates of their successful Sevens as keepsakes. Purchased by its previous keeper in 1972, the Lotus has been in the current ownership since 1994. The subject of much restoration work over the last thirteen years, it retains an early Series One scuttle but otherwise wears a mixture of battle-scarred or new aluminium panels. Powered by a replacement 948cc A-series four-cylinder engine allied to BMC four-speed manual transmission (it had a pre-crossflow Ford engine and gearbox installed when acquired), the Lotus has also had attention paid to its suspension, brake and steering assemblies. Riding on 13-inch JAP Magna alloys, this intriguing car is offered for sale with V5C Registration Document, daylight use MOT certificate and historic class (free) road tax both valid until August 2008.

Hmmmmmmmmm . . . even if your lights have not been tested, you still get a normal MOT though?

After all, you can drive a car with no lights in a 30mph zone if the street lights are XXX feet away from one another. A daylight only MOT would stop you from (legally) doing this.

A daylight MoT is marked as such and you may only use the car in daylight hours. Whether this is sunrise to set official figures or a copper's sayso, I don't know.

It's a bit of a favourite for old bikes with acetylene lights - you can keep the original casings but you don't have to mess about converting them to electric lamps.

• 1 month later...