Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Which fuel pump?

Fishy Dave

Hi guys,

Really hoping for a quick answer (have to get the car working by tomorrow as it's on our stand at the MPH show).

Following my non starting issue on another thread I'm almost certain I need a new fuel pump. I have a 1400 SS K series, but am a bit reluctant to pay £130+ for a whole new assembly from CC. So, is their another Rover model which shares the same fuel pump (not looking to upgrade)? I have searched, but can't find a definative answer, onlyu suggestions of upgrading to a Rover Tomcat pump.

I have to order one very shortly to be able to get one delivered by tomorrow.

Thanks, Dave *smile*

New owner of BOSS

It is rover and probably pretty standard. I'm sure I've seen the exact spec in a thread on here somewhere. The Tomcat thread is indeed tabout he bigger spec.

If yuo can't find it, maybe give Unipart a call or take it to your nearest.

That should be the rover part number, and is for the JPE / VHPD pump only item as shown on the CC website for £70 + vat.

May be cheaper from roverlink and should not be a problem on your non VHPD system, as there is a return for unused fuel to the tank. Best check but should be no issue with pressure either...

Dave, I'm amazed if this has gone down. I only replaced it in Oct/Nov 06 and the only trip it ddid was 60 miles to Norm's. I will look for the receipt if it's less than a year old.

BTW the car will fire and run for a second if all is in order and you just remove the air filter and slop some fuel in the air intake. *smile* This helps diagnostics.

Thanks for the offer Rob, but looks like you are right Steve, ☹️

It's not the fuel pump (at least I put 12v to it and it worked), so now I'm really confused. I have a new fuel filter, so will fit that and put the pump back in and see what happens again.

Then again, the fuel pump was whirring in the tank and wouldn't pump, so unless it was a blocked fuel filter maybe it is the pump?! Arrggghhh! Really against the clock on this one.

New owner of BOSS

Just 'cos the pump makes a noise doesn't mean it's working (I had a Facet pump that was happily clicking away but on pulling off the pipe to the carbs there was no flow)... stick a bit of tube into a fuel can and then run it and see if it draws the fuel through, if not then it's the pump, however if it does pump fuel out of the car but not in it then you have a breather/filter/crimped pipe type problem... good luck *wink*