Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

K series part, what is it ?

ECR

Just helping Andy G install his new throttle bodied 1800K (having removed his 1600). What on earth is the mini depth charge situated just in front of the drivers footwell ? I assume it is some sort of emissions based filter ....

To save me crawling under the car, where does the nylon pipe that travels rearwards from said "depth charge" go to. Presumably the fuel tank ? If I disconnect it what is the best way to deal with the now open end ?

Hi Roger

The pipe returns to the tank, inside the tunnel, & is the fuel tank breather. There is a 1 way valve fitted close up to the tank.

So remove the charcoal canister & either pull the breather pipe out or leave it in place as I did. If the pipe is removed fix up a tank breather as per these instructions here.

There should be an electrical connector on the canister which goes to the ECU (this controls how & when the canister purges). Just wire-tye the cable to something suitable or if you want to be brave follow the wire back to the ECU & snip it off at this end.

There should also be a pipe which runs from the canister to the inlet manifold/filter somewhere. Remove this & blank off at the manifold end & you're done.

The idle bypass valve is the next thing to be junked.

Mick

Edited by - Mick Day on 2 Nov 2007 13:30:56