Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Has my throttle pedal bent??

Delberts Wallet

Went to Brooklands yesterday (fantasic day) and took my two brothers. When I went to drive the car on to the trailer I noticed that the throttle pedal was sitting a lot lower than normal.

When I return home I took the pedal box cover off and found that there was about 1" of slack thottle cable. I've not seen the thottle pedal out of the car so cannot tell if it is bent or not or if the cable has stretched as there is no pedal stop.

Cheers

Gareth

Who Dares Twins bum.gif bum.gif

Exactly the same happened to us after the August Curborough event last year sad.gif But I still managed to get FTD(novice variety, I hasten to add).... I might have even managed a respectable time if I'd not dun de damige !.gif A very nice man in Hoddesdon fixed it thumbsup.gif

FH teeth.gif

It sounds like the cable is sliding out at one end - if so, it should be obvious how to fix with the pedalbox off. - You can bend the pedal and it's not too difficult to bend back with a vice and a hammer.

Alex Wong

www.alexwong.net

www.slipstream-trackdays.co.uk

_________

/ __ __ /

___ _//__T/__/_ ___

/ (_) (_)/

/`-'/o/ _______ /o/`-'/

/ /// ( VDU7X ) // /

/___/--_________/--/___/

Right, I've taken the pedal box cover off and removed the pedal. To me (and the wife) it doesn't look as though it is bent. There is approx 1" of cable at the end after the crimp which I guess is correct so it looks as though the cable has stretched but I can't believe it has by this much. There isn't any ajustment left at the buttefly end (K series Plenum) so I guess the olny thing I can do is replace the cable or is there a way of putting another crimp further along the cable.

Gareth

Who Dares Twins bum.gif bum.gif

Gareth, It went all floppy blush.gif so I asked the very nice man to sort it ... take a bow Chris Wheeler thumbsup.gifI don't remember what he did exactly; bent it back and sorted out the cable I think ... I just signed the cheque tongue.gif

No point in asking Mr FH. He might have broken his fingernails teeth.gif Well that's me in for a spanking tonight wink.gif

Edited by - fullharness on 5 May 2002 21:36:22

I can't see a way of tightening the acclerator cable as there is a metal button at both ends of the throttle cable. I decided that since my accelerator pedal was set a little back from the clutch & brake that it was time to move it (the pedals have 3 settings). Moving the accelerator pedal onto the setting closest to the driver does seem to give it more control.

The other thing you could try is adjusting the stop bolt. This adjusts how far the pedal is allowed to pivot, and is located on the pedal itself.

I 'fixed' Phil Stewarts car at Le Mans last year as he had the same symptons after 'giving it large' to the crowd on the approach roads.

Yes, the pedal can bend if the throttle (cable) travel is shorter than the available movement at the pedal.Basically the throttle is wide open on its stops & you bend the pedal as the throttle won't open any more no matter how hard you push!!!

Answer:- I removed the cable end and pulled the pedal back into a proper position.Literally bending it straight again. I re-fitted it all & it worked correctly again.

Required. A throttle travel stop to limit the travel of the pedal.This can be as simple as a bolt with two nuts either side of the footwell bulkhead so you can adjust the travel to the effect that the pedal & throttle cable reach the stops at the same time!!!