Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Fitting SPA Oil temp/pressure gauge in Duratec

dickbowyer

Splashed out 😬 and bought SPA Oil temp/pressure gauge to fit to Duratec engined R400. Fitment of the temperature sender seems easy enough with 1/8 NPT drilled and taped into Raceline wet sump plug which Raceline have confirmed is 3/4 BSP. Problem I have found now is the thread in the Raceline oil filter housing, they tell me, for oil pressure sender is M12x1.5 and the SPA supplied sender thread is 1/8 BSP. Neither Think Automotive nor Demon Thieves do an adaptor with male M12x1.5 and female 1/8 BSP at the other end 😔. Think A do male to male but not male to female. Has anyone solved this problem?

Dick

Superlight SV Duratec R400

1/8 BSP is v v similar to 1/8 NPT. Do Think do 1/8 NPTto M12x1.5 adapter?

Other option is to get a flexible hose ( 15cm in length?) made up, which fits to the M12x1.5 on the filter housing, & terminates with 1/8 BSP. This then allows you to mount the sender remotely away from vibration & possible damage. Think will do this for you as they've done for many a K series owner.

• 6 months later...

Dick

What was the outcome of this, I'm about to switch guages this week but need to make sure I have everything I need so that I am ready for a track day next Monday.

Is the spa temp sender the same thread as the std Caterham one. I already have the bung drilled and tapped for a std Caterham sender.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

Simon

Yep fitted SPA duel oil temp/pressure gauge last November. 😬

There are a few issues:

Firstly, the Duratec R400 has a Raceline Oil Filter housing but the CC version has a 1/4" NPT oil pressure sender thread whereas the Raceline version supplied by Raceline is M12*1.5. This caused a little confusion *confused* initially as thinking there was only one oil filter housing made by Raceline I purchased a M12*1.5 to 1/8" BSP (male to female) adaptor (LMA 064/B) *redface* to find it did not fit and then had to buy a 1/4" NPT to 1/8" BSP (male to female) adaptor (LMA 006/B) from LMA Performance Ltd. One has to be a little careful with this adaptor as it is tapered and cuts very easily through the aluminium housing and needs a little Loctite red sealant to stop the slow but steady drip, drip, drip of oil.

Secondly, Raceline supplied me with a wet sump plug tapped and fitted with the SPA oil temperature sender once I had sent them the SPA sender. They charged a very reasonable £14.93 including carriage for a new sump plug, tapped and fitted with the supplied sender within a few days.

Thirdly, I routed the wires from the gauge through the big grommet in the front of the tunnel and used some cable ties to tidy up the wiring in the engine compartment. The gauge itself is slightly larger that the CC oil pressure gauge but the very gentle use of a half-moon file on the carbon fibre allowed the gauge to fit. I took the positive feed off the old positive feed for the CC gauge.

Fourthly, if you have a lowered floor, the LED of the SPA gauge is slightly out of focus as you are viewing it at slightly the wrong angle unless you are taller than me (6' 1") but it seems OK. The green setting is better than red.

Hope that is helpful.

Dick

Dick

Thanks. I only need to get the oil pressure working by next Monday as the oil temp is currently displayed via a switch to my water temp guage.

I have the raceline oil filter housing, bought direct from them which should be M12. So I need an M12 to 1/8" BSP (M to F) adaptor, otherwise we should be good to go.

Simon Bell - Caterham 7 Duratec R

I`ve seen the future.....and it`s powered by duratec Check out the website here

No don't need it. It is in a box in the garage somewhere. Price was £7 inc VAT new. When do you need it by? Yours for an appropriate donation to NtL. Wont be able to get into the post probably until tuesday. Blatmail me details if interested.

Dick