Click here to contact our helpful office staff ×

Tips wanted on fitting replacement K sump

ian.hoper

Hi Each

Numpty questions.

Overtaking the weekend and hit something that has damaged the K 1600 sump at the drain plug and leaking oil .( think it was a raised cats eye as normal road ?) So ordered up a replacement from Caterham and ask if any tips and don't do's advice available to remove the damaged one and fit the new. Have a lit pit so looks easy to work but the sump plug is pushed up into the ally casting and so the whole lot with oil in will have to be managed somehow. As an ex Academy car the Appolo holds a lot of oil so as only just recently the oil was replaced shall I leave draining the Apolo/ filter and just re-fill the sump. If so how much to re-fill just the sump capacity with oil as the K dipstick is a trial to see the correct level and have overfilled it before.

Also ,do I need to use any sealant goo for the sump gasket , I am a X flow man and used gasket sealant or it could have been a smear of Vaseline on the X Flow sump I think in the past.

Looking forward to hearing your tips on this as blat chat always to the rescue.

Thanks

Hmm... If you are unable to get the sump drain out, its going to be messy! First thoughts are to remove spark plugs and disconnect crank sensor. Crank the engine over to oil pressure to fill the apollo tank, and this will partially empty the sump. Then remove oil filter and apollo sandwich adapter, elevate the latter to prevent oil running back to the sump. Then move the sump, not forgetting the two horizontal sump/bellhousing fixings. There will be still be some oil, so beware.

On refitting the new sump the gasket can be reused and no sealant. Total capacity for apollo system with filter is 7.5 l, so a bit of guesswork of the refill.

Hi English man in Wales

That's very helpfull of you to respond and yes I will not be able to remove the sump plug as it is sealed up against the ally casting from the impact and no room for a spanner to release it .Oil is now seeping out of the plug thread bottom and collected quite a lot so far.

So all looks a messy job unless I wait a while for most oil to leak out .

Car tax runs out this month so off the road anyway for the winter .

Annoyed with myself for showing off overtaking,was commited on a back road and this is the cosequence of red mist driving Sunday .

You know the saying . " Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want "

Best blatting .

As the sump is knackered wouldn't it be easiest to just drill a hole to drain it through?

As EMinW says, don't forget the horizontal bolts into the bellhousing.

Consider ditching the foam and drilling drain holes in the lip of the gasket (search TechTalk for discussions of this)

There is certainly a lot of oil lurking in the sump/on top of the (unmodified) gasket even after draining it conventionally. It would be a real nightmare if full (as a very shallow pan). Drilling a hole in it sounds like a good plan ! Watch for the instant coating of oil as you break through ! At least it won't be the usual peril of hot oil !

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again. Seven related photos

Just did my first and last "big" oil change, there certainly is alot of oil above the unmodified gasket, so drill the two holes in the gasket (Do a search to find out about this). Drilling a hole in the sump pan sounds the best thing to do, but go to Myles's web page, here for a description of what to do.

Just get some hex attachments for a socket from Halfords as this saved me so much time.

BRG and Yellow nose VU06 XZX

I would not drill a hole in the sump anywhere else than through the sump plug.

I did the same earlier in the year and got the sump fixed for about £20.

It was certainly a lot cheaper than the £250 + of a new sump.

I would be tempted to pull/pry the sump plug out as any damaged metal will need to be replaced anyway!

I would certainly drain the apollo as well.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

Hello

You could try one of the vacum oil extraction pumps from Machine Mart or similar. The oil is extracted via the dip stick tube using vacuum. I have just used mine on a Fiesta for the first time and it is much better than scrabbling around underneath the car.

CAB