Click here if you are having website access problems ×

de-dion

catflap

De deon is the current rear suspension set up available on new factory cars.

It has many of the advantages of a fully independent rear suspension (low unsprung weight being key)without actually being one.

It utilises a sierra dif with drive shafts to each rear hub, but each upright is fixed to one large tube that runs from each side of the car behind the dif.

Other manufacturers offer true independent rear set-ups, but opinion differs over their eficacy.

allen

Depends what you mean by desirable. Live axle cars i.e. non-de dion are cheaper when you compare like for like. Caterham no longer sell brand new live axle cars.

Unless I am mistaken, live axle cars must have a Q-plate because the axle has in some way been reconditioned.

As to the question of whether de dion or live axle is desirable from a driving point of view, that's open to debate.

But to answer your question: Is dedion a down-point, I would say definitely NOT.

C7 GARid=red>

Edited by - Gary G on 4 May 2002 23:31:06

Apparently the dedion is more comfortable on bumpy roads and also won't skip around as much on bumpy corners making it more controllable.

'apparently' cos I've never driven a live axle 7 but my old boy racer days with live axle Fordsteeth.gif would bear this out .

BRG Dedion 2Ltr Zetec - Warrington

You can't buy live axel cars because the axel came from a morris ital/marina - and this is no longer manufactured.

Personally, I really would not like any part of my seven being associated with the morris marina - often cited as the worst car in the world.

Edited by - robf on 6 May 2002 02:05:21

Don't be put off a live axle car. They are possibly better fun to drive as it is generaly easier to steer the rear of the car on the throttle. Having said that the De Dion set up is more comfortable on public roads.

De Dion driver

I have a live axle Caterham, and to be honest, if you invest in some rose jointed rear shocks, there isn't a lot of difference in the ride.

The Live axle is also considerably lighter than the de-dion.

Down side is, if your hoping to put upwards of 200 bhp through the axle, then you do need a de-dion.

As RobF said, he wouldn't want any part of his seven to be associated with a Marina - so get a de-dion K and be associated with a Metro, a much more worthy vehicle!!!

dedion has a lot less unsprung weight (as the diff is mounted to the chassis not the suspension) but is heavier over all (more UJs, radius arms etc). so unless the road is very smooth the dedion should be better.

to be honest though i think the main effect is that a live axle has a problems with too much power - i'd have thought over 150 is asking for it but i'm sure beefed up internals can be sourced. with a dedion you can shove in anything designed for a sierra with no problem at all.

Dave Hooper - North London

dmch2@lineone.net

Hang on a sec....

You CAN register a live axle car with out a Q - You are allowed one reconditioned component - so as long as you buy everything else new, no problemo.

The Live Axle is the simplest and most basic setup. The dedion is a step forwards and fully independant the most advanced technically.

BUT, life, as ever, isn't simple!

1)Remember the Caterham Fireblade is a live axle and still handles really well!

2)Remember also that the Westfie1d is fully independant and (from my experience only so it could be down to me/the exact car)doesn't feel as controllable at the limit as the de-dion 7!

SO, the answer?

Only 1 answer....Drive them yourself! Make up YOUR mind! Then tell us WHY!

I am the proud owner of a live axled seven. This week end, I friend was kind enough to let me loose with his di-dion HPC (thanks Mike). The difference was more than just 'ride quality'. If I had been able to get my Xflow up to the speeds we reached in the HPC, I don't think I would have been able to keep my car on the road! Compared to my car, it just absorbed bumps that would have sent me ditchwards.

Does this mean that my car needs some sorting? To be fair I guess the springs and damps are the original 10 year old items.

J

I would say your car does need some sorting.

I've put Leda's, double front wishbone and a larger arb on my live axle. And plenty have driven my car, both live axle owners and de-dion owners, and there isn't a lot between the ride and handling.

I will agree that along a bumpy B road, the de-dion will give a better ride, but on the track there is not a lot in it.

On the power side, I would still say, upto 200 bhp you will have no problems with a live axle.